- Title: Abe says after he doesn't expect US auto tariffs
- Date: 26th September 2019
- Summary: NEW YORK, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES (SEPTEMBER 25, 2019) (REUTERS) JAPANESE PRIME MINISTER SHINZO ABE WALKING TO LECTERN (SOUNDBITE) (Japanese) JAPANESE PRIME MINISTER, SHINZO ABE, SAYING: "And with South Korea, we have a continuation of activities by South Korea which undermined the relationship of trust between two nations such as South Korea neglecting the status in which they are in breach of the Japan ROK [Republic of Korea] claims settlement agreement, which provides the fundamentals of the post-war process. Even under such circumstances, in light of the present North-East Asian security environment, we have been consistent in our approach based on the standpoint that we should not influence our cooperation in the area of security between Japan, U.S. and ROK. We have been consistent in our approach. Japan and South Korea, the bilateral relations, should not have an impact on the security issues, and that was our consistent standpoint. But this time, South Korea unilaterally issued a notification terminating GSOMIA [General Security of Military Information Agreement]. It is extremely regrettable. In any case, to South Korea, first of all, we'd like to call upon them to honor the commitment between the two nations." WHITE FLASH (SOUNDBITE) (Japanese) JAPANESE PRIME MINISTER, SHINZO ABE, SAYING: "Now as to the question just asked, last year, we have issued the joint statement of the two leaders that during the time that trade negotiations are being properly conducted, there will be no additional tariff to be imposed under Section 232 that has been confirmed between myself and President Trump. And the commitment has been honored. And this time, as well, between Japan and the United States, the content of the joint statement of September last year means that there will be no additional tariffs to be imposed on the automotive bills as well as automotive parts and components from Japan. I have confirmed and affirmed with President Trump, between President Trump and I myself, this has been firmly confirmed that no further additional tariffs will be imposed and with the entry into force all my trade agreements, I believe both of our economies will be able to further grow and develop." WHITE FLASH ABE SAYING THANK YOU AND WALKING AWAY
- Embargoed: 10th October 2019 00:14
- Keywords: Abe Korea auto tariffs US-Japan trade
- Location: NEW YORK, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES
- City: NEW YORK, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES
- Country: USA
- Topics: Diplomacy/Foreign Policy,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA001AY5R58N
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Speaking Wednesday (September 25) on the sidelines of the United Nations General Assembly, Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe asserted further dealings with Washington will steer clear of tariffs on autos and automotive parts.
He said he confirmed the plan with U.S. President Donald Trump.
Earlier in the day, US and Japan signed a limited trade deal that cuts tariffs on U.S. farm goods, Japanese machine tools and other products while further staving off the threat of higher U.S. car duties.
Trump said the deal would open up Japanese markets to some $7 billion worth of American products annually, cutting Japanese tariffs on U.S. beef, pork wheat and cheese.
U.S. Trade Representative Robert Lighthizer said after a signing ceremony between the two leaders on the sidelines of the United Nations General Assembly that cars - the biggest source of the $67 billion U.S. trade deficit with Japan - were not covered in the announcement.
The U.S.-Japan talks, launched a year ago, hit a snag earlier this week as Japan had sought last-minute assurances that Trump would not impose the Section 232 tariffs.
Abe also called for South Korea to reconsider its decision last month to scrap a military intelligence-sharing pact between the two countries.
"It is extremely regrettable. In any case, to South Korea, first of all, we'd like to call upon them to honor the commitment between the two nations," Abe said.
South Korea will not participate in Japan's naval fleet review in October, it said on Tuesday, as it had not been invited to a display its navy joined when the event was last held four years ago.
The absence is another sign of continuing damage to security ties between the neighbors after a dispute over compensation for Koreans conscripted by Japan as forced laborers during World War damaged trade relations.
(Production by: Aaron Raizenberg, Catherine Koppel and Dan Fastenberg)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None