- Title: Malaysia evacuates students from central Sumatra due to haze health concerns
- Date: 25th September 2019
- Summary: PEKANBARU, RIAU PROVINCE, INDONESIA (SEPTEMBER 25, 2019) (REUTERS) ***WARNING CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** MALAYSIAN STUDENTS STANDING NEXT TO BUS AT ENTRANCE TO SYARIF KASIM II AIRPORT VARIOUS OF MALAYSIAN STUDENTS STANDING NEXT TO BUS MALAYSIAN STUDENTS WEARING SURGICAL MASKS, STANDING VARIOUS OF CONSULATE OFFICIAL CHECKING PASSPORTS (SOUNDBITE) (Bahasa Malaysia) MALAYSIAN STUDENT, MUHAMMAD BAIDU RUSZAMAN, SAYING: "We are here because the Malaysian government decided to evacuate us." REPORTER ASKING: "SO YOU'RE OFF SCHOOL FROM NOW UNTIL WHEN?" "Yes, I'm off from now and until September 30." REPORTER ASKING: "HOW ARE YOU FEELING NOW WITH ALL THE HAZE?" "I think on Sunday the level (air pollutant index) was around 700 and I felt very dry here." REPORTER ASKING: "HOW LONG WILL YOU STAY IN MALAYSIA?" "I planned to stay for a week, but we will see what the condition is over here." STUDENTS GATHERED AT AIRPORT ENTRANCE (SOUNDBITE) (Bahasa Malaysia) MALAYSIAN STUDENT, ALIANA JIBLA, SAYING: "Because of the haze and the emergency declared by the governor it's best that we leave." REPORTER ASKING: "HOW LONG WILL YOU STAY IN MALAYSIA" "I will stay for two weeks." JIBLA AND STUDENT LOOKING AT SMARTPHONE / MALAYSIAN STUDENTS GATHERED MALAYSIAN STUDENTS WALKING INTO AIRPORT ENTRANCE MALAYSIAN STUDENTS WALKING IN AIRPORT DEPARTURE HALL MALAYSIAN STUDENTS RIDING ESCALATOR VARIOUS OF AIR POLLUTANT INDEX BOARD SHOWING INDEX OVER 100 (UNHEALTHY) VARIOUS OF TRAFFIC DRIVING IN HAZE
- Embargoed: 9th October 2019 11:15
- Keywords: haze slash-and-burn air pollutant index students Malaysia evacuation
- Location: PEKANBARU, RIAU PROVINCE, INDONESIA
- City: PEKANBARU, RIAU PROVINCE, INDONESIA
- Country: Indonesia
- Topics: Disaster/Accidents,Wildfires/Forest Fires
- Reuters ID: LVA002AY5M0CN
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: PART AUDIO AS INCOMING
Malaysia evacuated nearly 50 its nationals, all university students, from Indonesia's haze-stricken central Riau province on Wednesday (September 25).
As the local State Islamic University of Sultan Syarif Kasim Riau has been officially shut until September 30 due to a government declared emergency, most students said they plan to stay in Malaysia for at least a week.
According to local Malaysian media, around 300 students total will be evacuated from Indonesia.
In the provincial capital of Pekanbaru, the air pollutant index dropped from dangerous dropped to unhealthy levels on Wednesday, although skies still appeared hazy.
Indonesia is facing its worst forest fires and haze problems since 2015. The country has spent months battling fires, often caused by slash-and-burn farming practices, as the El Nino weather pattern exacerbates the annual dry season and helps create a choking haze across the region.
(Production: Heru Asprihanto, Joseph Campbell, Yudi Saputra)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None