- Title: Guardiola - Bernardo 'exceptional person' after tweet row
- Date: 27th September 2019
- Summary: MANCHESTER, ENGLAND, UK (SEPTEMBER 27, 2019) (REUTERS) PEP GUADIOLA ENTERS NEWS CONFERENCE (SOUNDBITE) (English) MANCHESTER CITY MANAGER PEP GUARDIOLA ON BERNARDO SILVA TWEET SAYING: "If they believe or the people believe or the FA believe Bernardo is this type of player they are completely wrong. They judge one joke, I judge three years with him every single day how he is, related and his friendship and what it is. Apart from that so nothing more to add."
- Embargoed: 11th October 2019 16:12
- Keywords: Bernardo Silva Pep Guardiola Mendy Manchester City Premier League football soccer
- Location: MANCHESTER, ENGLAND, UK / KHARKIV, UKRAINE / SHANGHAI, CHINA
- City: MANCHESTER, ENGLAND, UK / KHARKIV, UKRAINE / SHANGHAI, CHINA
- Country: United Kingdom
- Topics: Soccer,Sport
- Reuters ID: LVA001AYFMOFZ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola has once again launched a staunch defence of Bernardo Silva after the midfielder came under fire for a controversial tweet.
Silva, the Portugal midfielder, has faced backlash this week after he sent a tweet which compared a picture of teammate Benjamin Mendy as a child, to the cartoon logo of Spanish confectionery company Conguitos.
Guardiola, speaking ahead of his side's Premier League match against Everton on Saturday (September 28) said that his player is an 'exceptional person' who did not mean to cause any offence by sending the tweet which he subsequently deleted shortly afterwards.
Manchester City travel to Goodison Park on the back of a stunning 8-0 win over Watford in their last league match, as they look to cut the gap to Liverpool at the top of the league, who currently lead them by 5 points.
(Production: Oliver Regan)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None