- Title: Thousands in Lausanne demand "real" reaction from politicians to climate change
- Date: 27th September 2019
- Summary: LAUSANNE, SWITZERLAND (SEPTEMBER 27, 2019) (REUTERS) DEMONSTRATORS HOLDING SIGN READING (French): "OUR PLANET IS IN DANGER, WE HAVE TO SAVE IT" VARIOUS OF DEMONSTRATION IN PROGRESS WITH PEOPLE HOLDING SIGNS AND CHANTING DEMONSTRATORS HOLDING SIGN READING (French): "TIRED OF CARS, TAKE THE BUS" DEMONSTRATORS MARCHING (SOUNDBITE) (French) PROTESTER FROM LAUSANNE, ALICE, SAYING: "I expect a reaction and I think we will have it because it has become something that drives politics, because they know people are going to react after. But I am waiting for a real one, a real reaction, not just to please people or to gain votes." DEMONSTRATORS HOLDING SIGN READING (French): "TIRED OF CARS, TAKE THE BUS" AND CHANTING (French): "IF YOU LOVE YOUR PLANET CLAP YOUR HANDS" DEMONSTRATORS MARCHING DEMONSTRATORS HOLDING SIGN READING (French): "WE DESERVE BETTER THAN YOUR HYPOCRITE ANSWERS" VARIOUS OF DEMONSTRATION IN PROGRESS WITH PEOPLE HOLDING SIGNS AND CHANTING DEMONSTRATORS HOLDING SIGN READING (English): "DORA CANNOT EXPLORE THE AMAZON RAINFOREST, IT IS ON FIRE" MEMBERS OF ACTIVIST GROUP EXTINCTION REBELLION HOLDING BANNER READING "NON-VIOLENT - REBELLION FOR LIFE" EXTINCTION REBELLION PROTESTERS STANDING AND HOLDING BANNER EXTINCTION REBELLION PROTESTERS MARCHING TOWARDS POLICE OFFICERS AND HOLDING BANNER POLICE OFFICER STANDING IN FRONT OF PROTESTERS (SOUNDBITE) (French) PROTESTER FROM LAUSANNE, CLEA ROUPE, SAYING: "Very simply, there is an emergency today and we can no longer turn a blind eye on it. I am scared when I see what it is happening and I think action is the only way to exorcize this fear and also to go hand with hand with people here, it gives strength and hope, because I do not have much hope anymore, but determination, a lot. Hope for change, I don't know, but to be with people until the end and we will do what we can." POLICE OFFICER STANDING IN FRONT OF PROTESTERS VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS MARCHING AND BEING STOPPED BY POLICE OFFICERS PROTESTERS SEATING VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS SEATING ON GROUND AND CHANTING POLICE CARRYING A PROTESTER BACK BEHIND CORDON PROTESTERS SEATED ON THE GROUND, POLICE WATCHING
- Embargoed: 11th October 2019 13:37
- Keywords: Climate change youth protesters demonstration Amazon glbal warming youth for climate
- Location: LAUSANNE, SWITZERLAND
- City: LAUSANNE, SWITZERLAND
- Country: Switzerland
- Topics: Environment,Climate Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA001AYFOYMF
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: "Our planet is in danger", claimed thousands of demonstrators marching in the streets of Lausanne on Friday (September 27) to demand a "real action" from politicians to solve the climate crisis.
Students and adults gathered for the demonstration, chanting slogans and holding signs which read "Dora cannot explore the Amazon rainforest, it is on fire" or "We deserve better than your hypocrite answers".
Police said 3,500 people took part in the main march, while between 200 and 400 activists joined an unauthorized action by the "Extinction Rebellion," blocking a road located at the entrance of Lausanne.
The latest round of protests, which builds on last week's marches by millions of children around the world, is planned to roll through Asia and Europe before culminating in a rally in Montreal, Canada, where teenage activist Greta Thunberg is scheduled to speak.
(Production Cecile Mantovani)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None