- Title: Zidane looks to Hazard as Real face Madrid derby challenge
- Date: 27th September 2019
- Summary: MADRID, SPAIN (SEPTEMBER 27, 2019) (REUTERS) REAL MADRID PLAYERS AT TRAINING SESSION FORWARD EDEN HAZARD RUBBING HIS HEAD FORWARD GARETH BALE LAUGHING HAZARD CHASING THE BALL DURING RONDO REAL MADRID COACH ZINEDINE ZIDANE ATTENDING SESSION STRIKER KARIM BENZEMA AND DEFENDER RAPHAEL VARANE AT SESSION PLAYMAKER JAMES RODRIGUEZ TACKLING, MIDFIELDER LUKA MODRIC GRABBING RODRIGUEZ BY THE HEAD, RODRIGUEZ CHASING THE BALL MODRIC RUNNING AND SHOOTING GOALKEEPER THIBAUT COURTOIS CHASING THE BALL DURING RONDO BENZEMA TALKING WITH VARANE ZIDANE ATTENDING SESSION BALE JOKING DEFENDER SERGIO RAMOS TRAINING ZIDANE ARRIVING AT NEWS CONFERENCE ROOM PHOTOGRAPHERS (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) REAL MADRID COACH ZINEDINE ZIDANE, ON EDEN HAZARD, SAYING: "Well, we know the player we have (Eden Hazard) and we know that at any time he is going to react. The other day he did it in Sevilla. Of course everybody expects much more from him and he knows it. We support him and he is with us. We go game by game and most likely he will become the player we want." NEWS CONFERENCE IN PROGRESS (SOUNDBITE) (French) REAL MADRID COACH ZINEDINE ZIDANE, ON HAZARD: "These kind of players are ready for this, ready for matches, and who perform well in these big matches. I don't doubt for a minute that he (Hazard) won't be ready or that the team in general won't be, it's the same (for them). We are not thinking about the result, we're thinking about playing a great match. That's what interests me, that's what motivates us all today." JOURNALIST TAKING PHOTO (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) REAL MADRID COACH ZINEDINE ZIDANE, SAYING: "We have to play a game tomorrow and what we want is to win. We are going to do everything in our hand to try to win. It is like always, our ideas doesn't change. We are aware of the difficulties and tomorrow for sure we will encounter difficulties against a very good rival but they will also face difficulties." NEWS CONFERENCE IN PROGRESS (SOUNDBITE) (French) REAL MADRID COACH ZINEDINE ZIDANE, ON CHIRAC'S DEATH, SAYING: "Of course it's very bad news, I'm sad especially because I knew him personally, as you've said he was our president but he was also the president of all sportsmen and the friend of all the sportsmen. I think he loved people, not just people in the realm of politics but I think he even loved the people who were the most tucked away in the countryside. He always showed that, and what I want to remember about him is maybe the little moments we shared, when I talked to him it meant that he escaped politics for a bit and immersed himself in something else, and he was happy to talk about other things, that's what I'm saying at the same time, and you could feel that. So (I have) great memories of him, and what I will say to finish is that (I express) my wholehearted condolences to his family." NEWS CONFERENCE IN PROGRESS ZIDANE LEAVING NEWS CONFERENCE ROOM
- Embargoed: 11th October 2019 13:41
- Keywords: La Liga Real Madrid Zinedine Zidane
- Location: MADRID, SPAIN
- City: MADRID, SPAIN
- Country: Spain
- Topics: Soccer,Sport
- Reuters ID: LVA001AYFOI0V
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Real Madrid coach Zinedine Zidane said on Friday (September 27) that everybody expects more from big summer signing Eden Hazard.
In a news conference previewing their derby against Atletico Madrid, Zidane looked at the Belgium forward and said he was sure the former Chelsea player will soon perform at his best.
Real Madrid have seemingly weathered the storm following last week's humiliating Champions League defeat at Paris St Germain by leaping to the top of La Liga, but the team face a tough test in Saturday's local derby at Atletico Madrid.
The French coach came in for heavy criticism following their limp 3-0 surrender to an under-strength PSG but Real showed character to respond with a 1-0 win at early leaders Sevilla four days later.
He then made eight changes to his starting lineup against Osasuna on Wednesday but still saw his side earn a 2-0 win, recalling the sweeping rotations he routinely made when Real went on to win a La Liga and Champions League double in 2016/17.
Making so many alterations with the team still looking fragile was a risky move, but his first-choice players will be feeling fresher for the derby while he also has a welcome selection dilemma for the short trip to the Wanda Metropolitano.
Real have been boosted by the return of Isco and Luka Modric to training, although left back Ferland Mendy is ruled out through injury and fellow left back Marcelo is a doubt.
Atletico are one point behind Real after earning a bittersweet 2-0 win at Real Mallorca in which Diego Costa ended a six-month goal drought but his strike partner Alvaro Morata was sent off.
During the news conference Zidane wanted to send his condolences to the family of former French President Jacques Chirac who passed away on Thursday (September 26).
(Production: Silvio Castellanos)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None