- Title: Outsider Rendi-Wagner challenges Kurz at general elections
- Date: 27th September 2019
- Summary: VARIOUS OF RENDI-WAGNER ARRIVING AT RALLY CAMERAS
- Embargoed: 11th October 2019 19:00
- Keywords: Austria's Social Democrats election. final election rally party leader Pamela Rendi-Wagner
- Location: VIENNA, AUSTRIA
- City: VIENNA, AUSTRIA
- Country: Austria
- Topics: Government/Politics,Elections/Voting
- Reuters ID: LVA003AYFLXL3
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Austria's Social Democrat leader and main candidate for the SPO in Sunday's election, Pamela Rendi-Wagner, vowed to prevent Austria from returning to an Ibiza coalition - the alliance of Kurz's Austrian People's Party with the Austrian Freedom Party which broke apart due to a video sting scandal.
"Every vote for Sebastian Kurz makes a re-run of the Ibiza coalition more likely," she said to her supporters at the SPO's final rally before the election, and promise to keep campaigning until the very last minute.
"We have 48 hours to prevent a black-blue (coalition of Kurz' Austrian People's Party with Austrian Freedom Party) coalition in Austria. I count on you. And I promise you that you can count on me. In this sense: together we can do it! And humanity will win! Friendship (election slogan of Social Democrats)!
Recent polls put support for the Social Democrats at between 20% and 23%, with Kurz's party at 33% or 34%, and the Freedom Party also around 20%. They show the Greens set to return to parliament with 11-13% after losing their seats in the last election two years ago, and the broadly liberal but pro-business Neos at around 8%.
(Production: Fedja Grulovic, Ute Swart)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.