- Title: Milan clubs reveal proposals for new stadium
- Date: 27th September 2019
- Summary: MILAN, ITALY (FILE - MAY 27, 2016) (REUTERS) SAN SIRO STADIUM IN MILAN
- Embargoed: 11th October 2019 15:23
- Keywords: Serie A San Siro Guiseppe Meazza stadium AC Milan Inter Milan Internazionale
- Location: GRAPHIC / MILAN, ITALY
- City: GRAPHIC / MILAN, ITALY
- Country: Italy
- Topics: Soccer,Sport
- Reuters ID: LVA002AYFP073
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Italian soccer giants AC Milan and Inter Milan unveiled two designs in joint proposals for a new stadium to replace the iconic Guiseppe Meazza San Siro stadium.
The clubs have long sought to follow Juventus' example and build their own stadium in a bid to generate extra revenue and become more competitive with Europe's elites.
The current stadium, owned by the city council, has been ordered by local authorities to stay up for the 2026 Winter Olympics.
Media reports suggest the new stadium will cost an estimated â‚¬650 million and take three years to build with a capacity of 60,000 spectators - down from their current stadium's capacity of 85,700.
One of the new designs plans to keep the location of the old San Siro pitch as a soccer field for fans to keep the memories from the stadium's history from the past 90 plus years alive.
Another design plans to include a museum and base the exterior of the stadium on the city's iconic Duomo cathedral.
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None