- Title: Google to open first Central Eastern Europe cloud hub in Poland
- Date: 27th September 2019
- Summary: VARIOUS OF GOOGLE LOGO
- Embargoed: 11th October 2019 17:23
- Keywords: Google Cloud Google in Poland Thomas Kurian Domestic Cloud Provider Google birthday
- Location: WARSAW, POLAND
- City: WARSAW, POLAND
- Country: Poland
- Topics: Company News Markets,Economic Events
- Reuters ID: LVA003AYFP0ZD
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Google announced on Friday (September 27) it will open a new cloud region, or hub, in Poland, expanding its infrastructure in central and Eastern Europe.
Google Cloud Chief Executive Thomas Kurian told journalists the cloud hub, which will start operating in Poland in the next few months, was the next phase of the company's investment and would help small and large companies take advantage of the latest digital technologies.
Google's expansion is the result of a strategic partnership signed with Poland's Domestic Cloud Provider (DCP) and will make Poland the first country in the Central Eastern Europe (CEE) region with a global cloud service provider launching its data centre.
Warsaw will join 20 other Google Cloud Regions which provide advanced infrastructure and software as well as support programmes and digital skills training to the businesses across all industries.
Pawel Borys, CEO of state-owned Polish Development Fund, which is one of the founders of DCP, said cooperation with Google will not only help to spread the cloud services among small Polish companies, which would otherwise not be able to build their own infrastructure but will also keep the data safe.
Google has been trying to beef up its presence in cloud computing and is the third-largest player in cloud infrastructure services with an 8 per cent market share, with Amazon and Microsoft dominating the market, according to a report published in July by Synergy Research.
(Production: Malgorzata Wojtunik)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.