- Title: Zimbabwe's Mugabe buried in home village, ending an era
- Date: 28th September 2019
- Summary: COFFIN UNDER TENT DURING CEREMONY, FLOWER ARRANGEMENT READING ''DAD'' GRACE MUGABE SEATED DURING CEREMONY PRIESTS SPRINKLING HOLY WATER ON COFFIN GRACE MUGABE SITTING WITH SON CHATUNGA BELLARMINE MUGABE COFFIN LAID ON A COFFIN RACK GRACE MUGABE CRYING
- Embargoed: 12th October 2019 17:44
- Keywords: Mugabe burial Zimbabwe Africa Robert Mugabe Grace Mugabe
- Location: KUTAMA, ZIMBABWE
- City: KUTAMA, ZIMBABWE
- Country: Zimbabwe
- Reuters ID: LVA002AYKNJUV
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Zimbabwe's founding leader Robert Mugabe was buried on Saturday (September 28) in his home village of Kutama, ending a dispute between his family and the government of his successor President Emmerson Mnangagwa over his final resting place.
Mugabe ruled Zimbabwe for 37 years from independence in 1980 but was a polarising figure idolised by some for his role in the country's liberation struggle and hated by others for ruining a promising nation through disastrous economic policies and repression against opponents.
He died in a Singapore hospital on Sept. 6 aged 95, bitter at the way former allies including Mnangagwa conspired to topple him in November 2017 and told his family he did not want his "tormentors" to preside over his burial, family members said.
His burial marks the end of an era for one of Africa's last "Big Men".
After Mass by a Roman Catholic priest and speeches by family members, Mugabe was buried in the courtyard of his rural homestead without the pomp and fun fare usually reserved for national heroes.
His wife Grace, children and close relatives, government officials and the media witnessed the burial ceremony.
(Production: Gift Sukala, Siyabonga Sishi)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None