- Title: Nine-year-old amputee models on catwalk in Paris Fashion Week
- Date: 27th September 2019
- Summary: CHILD MODEL IN LULU ET GIGI DRESS CHILD MODEL WITH DOWN'S SYNDROME IN LULU ET GIGI DRESS TEEN MODEL IN LULU ET GIGI JUMPSUIT
- Embargoed: 11th October 2019 19:04
- Keywords: Fashion Paris Fashion Week child model double amputee Lulu et Gigi fashion show Eiffel Tower
- Location: PARIS, FRANCE
- City: PARIS, FRANCE
- Country: France
- Topics: Arts / Culture / Entertainment,Fashion,Editors' Choice
- Reuters ID: LVA002AYFPR2X
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Nine-year-old Daisy-May Demetre, whose legs were amputated due to a birth defect, became the first double amputee child to walk the runway in Paris Fashion Week on Friday (September 27).
Demetre, who uses carbon blades for running and on the catwalk, modelled for children's wear label Lulu et Gigi at a show inside the Eiffel Tower.
Born in Birmingham, England Daisy-May's lower legs were amputated due to fibular hemimelia - a lack or shortening of the calf bone - when she was just 18 months old.
After seeing a TV show about fashion, her father Alex suggested modelling to her and she has since worked for several major UK clothing retailers as well as for sports brand Nike.
She started modeling for British clothing brands a year ago and has walked at the London Kids' Fashion Week in February and at the New York Fashion Week earlier this month.
Lulu et Gigi founder Eni Hegedus-Buiron said she had no second thoughts about hiring an amputee to model her luxury children's clothing, which can cost as much as $2,600 for a "Princess and the Pea Gown."
As well as Daisy-May, the show featured a diverse lineup, including a plus-size teen model pretending to throw cake at photographers and a model with Down's Syndrome.
(Production: Thierry Chiarello, Noemie Olive, Kathryn Carlson)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.