- Title: Japanese proud of rugby team after surprise victory against Ireland
- Date: 29th September 2019
- Summary: TOKYO, JAPAN (SEPTEMBER 28, 2019) (REUTERS) JAPANESE FANS REJOICING ON FINAL WHISTLE BETWEEN JAPAN AND IRELAND BEPPU, JAPAN (SEPTEMBER 28, 2019) (REUTERS) FANS SITTING / CHEERING FATHER AND SON REJOICING VARIOUS OF JAPANESE FANS REJOICING FANS WATCHING GAME TWO FANS HOLDING HANDS IN FRONT OF MOUTH FANS CHANTING (Japanese): "JAPAN, JAPAN!"
- Embargoed: 13th October 2019 04:29
- Keywords: Rugby World Cup Japan Ireland Japan 2019
- Location: TOKYO, BEPPU, OITA, JAPAN
- City: TOKYO, BEPPU, OITA, JAPAN
- Country: Japan
- Topics: Rugby Union,Sport
- Reuters ID: LVA001AYPM2QH
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: It was real catharsis for Japanese rugby fans when the final whistle finally came on Saturday (September 28).
No one had expected the host country's team to beat Ireland, one of the top teams in the world.
In Tokyo, a pub packed with an ecstatic crowd cheered as the match ended. The Brave Blossoms had won their second game of the tournament.
In Beppu, situated on the southern Island of Kyushu, a crowd of all ages had gathered at a small fan zone to watch a game full of suspense.
Japan produced arguably the second biggest World Cup upset on Saturday by beating Ireland 19-12 at Shizuoka Stadium, opening up Pool A and producing potential quarter-final ramifications for New Zealand and South Africa as well.
This win is expected to galvanise Japanese supporters.
(Production: Tim Kelly, Lucien Libert, Masako Iijima)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None