- Title: Paris drops the bass at annual Techno Parade
- Date: 28th September 2019
- Summary: (SOUNDBITE) (French) 24-YEAR-OLD WHO LIVES IN PARIS SUBURBS, ALEXANDRE, SAYING: "For me it's a gathering to show we're free to have fun, free to listen to the music we like, free to dress like we want, it's about freedom, freedom of expression, which unfortunately is lacking nowadays."
- Embargoed: 12th October 2019 16:04
- Keywords: Techno Parade music Paris house music Steve Canico ravers
- Location: PARIS, FRANCE
- City: PARIS, FRANCE
- Country: France
- Topics: Arts / Culture / Entertainment,Music
- Reuters ID: LVA004AYKMS7T
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:The quays along the River Seine were transformed into a dance floor on Saturday (September 28) as Paris celebrated the 21st year of the Techno Parade.
Thousands of music lovers danced to the beat, as 10 trucks with DJs and loud speakers led the party down the streets.
While most of the revellers were teens to twenty-somethings, it didn't stop some senior citizens from donning their dancing shoes and joining the rave.
Techno, house, trance and drum 'n' bass were on the playlist of this year's Techno Parade, which kicked off near the Louvre Museum and was expected to end after a marching to southeastern Paris.
This year's edition of the event also paid tribute to 24-year-old Steve Canico who was found in the River Loire, 38 days after a run-in between police and late-night revellers by the riverbank in Nantes during the "Fete de la Musique". Canico's friends have often told local media that he loved techno.
In 1996, a cancellation of a much-maligned electronic music event in Lyon led to the founding of the association Technopol, created to bring a positive image to techno and reclaim the right to hold such gatherings.
The first Techno Parade was held in Paris on September 19, 1998 with 200,000 participants, and eventually became one of the largest electronic music gatherings in France.
(Production: Antoine Boddaert, Pascale Antonie)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None