- Title: Thousands gather to mark 5th anniversary of Hong Kong's Umbrella movement
- Date: 28th September 2019
- Summary: HONG KONG, CHINA (SEPTEMBER 28, 2019) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF RALLY PARTICIPANTS IN TAMAR PARK SINGING "GLORY TO HONG KONG"
- Embargoed: 12th October 2019 14:03
- Keywords: Hong Kong China protest . rally
- Location: HONG KONG, CHINA
- City: HONG KONG, CHINA
- Country: Hong Kong
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Civil Unrest
- Reuters ID: LVA001AYKL8W7
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Hong Kong protesters rallied in a harbourside park on Saturday (September 28) to commemorate the fifth anniversary of the "Umbrella" democracy movement that gridlocked the territory for weeks.
The 2014 Umbrella protests saw 79 days of student-led demonstrations calling for universal suffrage to elect their own leader, but failed to wrest such concessions from Beijing.
On Saturday, thousands, young and old, gathered peacefully in Tamar Park. The park sits in front of central government offices and the Legislative Council, both of which have come under attack before, sparking violent street battles with police.
A series of pro- and anti-Beijing protests is planned for the Chinese-ruled city ahead of the 70th anniversary of the People's Republic of China on Tuesday (October 1).
Protesters are angry about what they see as creeping Chinese interference in Hong Kong, which returned to China in 1997 under a "one country, two systems" formula intended to guarantee freedoms that are not enjoyed on the mainland.
China vehemently denies meddling. It has accused foreign governments, including the United States and Britain, of inciting the unrest.
(Production: Aleksander Solum, Angie Teo)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.