- Title: Hong Kong protesters set busy schedule ahead of China National Day
- Date: 28th September 2019
- Summary: VARIOUS OF PRO-BEIJING SUPPORTERS SINGING CHINESE NATIONAL ANTHEM
- Embargoed: 12th October 2019 05:47
- Keywords: Hong Kong China protests Umbrella Movement national day
- Location: HONG KONG, CHINA
- City: HONG KONG, CHINA
- Country: Hong Kong
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Civil Unrest
- Reuters ID: LVA004AYKL5QF
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Hong Kong pro-democracy protesters have set themselves a busy schedule for Saturday (September 28), rebuilding "Lennon Walls" of anti-government graffiti and marking the fifth anniversary of the "Umbrella" street movement that gridlocked the city for weeks.
The protest on Saturday comes ahead of the 70th anniversary of the People's Republic of China on Tuesday (October 1), when there are pro- and anti-Beijing protests planned across the former British colony, including at the British Consulate where protesters this month asked for help in reining in Beijing.
One pro-democracy resident called the government a 'liar' and said they had to use violence to make sure their voices are heard because the government 'will not listen' while those on the pro-Beijing side condemned the protest saying children who are protesting should be in school and studying.
Protesters are angry about what they see as creeping Chinese interference in Hong Kong, which returned to China in 1997 under a "one country, two systems" formula intended to guarantee freedoms that are not enjoyed on the mainland.
(Production: Joyce Zhou, Angie Teo, Xihao Jiang, Yiming Woo)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.