- Title: Hong Kong activist Joshua Wong to stand for local elections
- Date: 28th September 2019
- Summary: BANNERS WITH JOSHUA WONG'S PHOTOS
- Embargoed: 12th October 2019 07:08
- Keywords: Hong Kong China protest Joshua Wong activist
- Location: HONG KONG, CHINA
- City: HONG KONG, CHINA
- Country: Hong Kong
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Civil Unrest
- Reuters ID: LVA002AYKLAH3
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: One of the most prominent leaders of the Hong Kong protests Joshua Wong, announced on Saturday (September 28) that he will run for local district council elections in November.
Wong is out on bail after being charged with inciting and participating in an unauthorized assembly outside police headquarters on June 21.
"If they block young activists just like me to run for office, they need to pay the price," he said to reporters outside the Hong Kong government headquarters.
Hong Kong pro-democracy protesters have set themselves a busy schedule for Saturday, rebuilding "Lennon Walls" of anti-government graffiti and marking the fifth anniversary of the "Umbrella" street movement that gridlocked the city for weeks.
The protesters are angry about what they see as creeping Chinese interference in Hong Kong, which returned to China in 1997 under a "one country, two systems" formula intended to guarantee freedoms that are not enjoyed on the mainland.
(Production: Yiming Woo, Jiang Xihao)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Footage contains photographs or artwork. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing this clip.