- Title: Hong Kong police spray water cannon at protesters
- Date: 28th September 2019
- Summary: HONG KONG, CHINA (SEPTEMBER 28, 2019) (REUTERS) LARGE CROWD OF PROTESTERS HOLDING UMBRELLAS / WATER CANNON BEING SPRAYED TOWARDS PROTESTERS OUTSIDE LEGISLATIVE COUNCIL BUILDING / PROTESTERS POINTING LASER BEAMS / WATER REACHING OVERPASS / SMALL FIRE BURNING NEAR BARRICADE WATER BEING SPRAYED TOWARDS PROTESTERS ON OVERPASS WATER BEING SPRAYED TOWARDS PROTESTERS ON ROAD OUTSIDE LEGISLATIVE COUNCIL BUILDING WATER CANNON TRUCK SPRAYING WATER
- Embargoed: 12th October 2019 13:49
- Keywords: Hong Kong protesters water cannon Umbrella movement 5th anniversary rally Hong Kong police
- Location: HONG KONG, CHINA
- City: HONG KONG, CHINA
- Country: Hong Kong
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Civil Unrest,Editors' Choice
- Reuters ID: LVA001AYKMREV
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Hong Kong police sprayed a water cannon to disperse protesters gathered outside the legislative council building in the Admiralty area on Saturday (September 28).
Thousands, young and old, had earlier gathered peacefully at a harbourside park to mark the fifth anniversary of the "Umbrella" pro-democracy movement which gridlocked streets for 79 days in 2014. A band was playing Beatles music as the violence erupted.
The park sits in front of central government offices and the Legislative Council, both of which have come under attack before, sparking violent street battles with police.
A series of protests for and against Communist Party rulers in Beijing is planned for the Chinese-ruled city ahead of the 70th anniversary of the People's Republic on Tuesday (October 1), including at the consulate of former colonial power Britain.
(Production: Ebrahim Harris, Paul Warren, Lucy Marks)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None