- Title: International aid group Medecins Sans Frontieres contender for Nobel Peace Prize
- Date: 16th September 2019
- Summary: PARIS, FRANCE (FILE - FEBRUARY 28, 2019) (REUTERS) WOMAN ENTERING MEDECINS SANS FRONTIERES (MSF) HEADQUARTERS SIGN FOR MSF EMERGENCY CELL COORDINATOR FOR MEDECINS SANS FRONTIERES (MSF), GWENOLA SEROUX, SPEAKING TO COLLEAGUES (SOUNDBITE) (French) EMERGENCY CELL COORDINATOR FOR MEDECINS SANS FRONTIERES (MSF), GWENOLA SEROUX, SAYING: "On the night of Sunday (February 24) to Monday our Ebola treatment centre in Katwa, which takes in Ebola and non-Ebola patients, was attacked during the night and was burned down. So during the night, we transferred the patients to other treatment centres for care." MSF demands security guarantees to reopen Aden hospital. ADEN, YEMEN (FILE - APRIL 6, 2019) (REUTERS) TRAFFIC IN ADEN AMBULANCE APPROACHING MSF HOSPITAL SIGN ON MSF HOSPITAL DOOR READING (Arabic/English): "NO GUNS" SIGN ON MSF HOSPITAL READING (Arabic): "MEDECINS SANS FRONTIERES" (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) RELATIVE OF PATIENT AT MSF HOSPITAL IN ADEN, HUSSEIN NASSER, SAYING: "The MSF hospital has been closed, which was a refuge for people from middle and poor classes. No, I hope the local and government authorities would reopen the hospital and investigate what has happened. Work is going on, there is no need for them to close the hospital and stop receiving the wounded and the patients, as well as people who cannot afford private hospitals which usually cost millions." ADEN, YEMEN (FILE - APRIL 14, 2019) (REUTERS) (SOUNDBITE) (English) MSF COUNTRY DIRECTOR, HASSAN BOUCENINE, SAYING: "On the second of April, sometime in the morning, one of our patient(s) was taken without our discharge, I mean before our doctors discharge him. (The patient) was taken by a group of men, one man came to pick him up. They left, and later on, we learnt that this same patient that was taken from us was found killed in one of the streets of Aden. So, that's why in reaction not for this to happen again, for the safety of our staff and our patients, we decided to suspend admission in our hospital in Aden." MSF LOGO ON BOUCENINE'S CLOTHES READING (French/Arabic): "MEDECINS SANS FRONTIERES"
- Embargoed: 30th September 2019 20:59
- Keywords: Medecins San Frontieres Doctors Without Borders ebola measles MSF recued Ocean Viking Congo Nobel Peace Prize migrants
- Location: VARIOUS
- City: VARIOUS
- Country: Various
- Topics: Disaster/Accidents
- Reuters ID: LVA00AAYGEWJR
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: International aid group Medecins Sans Frontieres (Doctors Without Borders) is a possible contender for this year's Nobel Peace Prize.
The group, founded in Paris in 1971 but now headquartered in Geneva, has played a role in the rescue of migrants in the Mediterranean in addition to tackling Ebola in Democratic Republic of Congo.
Aquarius 2, run jointly by Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) and SOS Mediterranee, is the one remaining charity rescue vessel still operating in the central Mediterranean, picking up migrants who are in most cases trying to get to Europe from Libya, often in overcrowded, unseaworthy boats.
The ship has operated in the central Mediterranean since early 2016 and the owners say it has helped more than 29,000 people in distress, many of them African migrants.
MSF have also responded to two Ebola outbreaks in Democratic Republic of Congo during 2018, the aid group reported on its website.
The Central African country has experienced ten Ebola outbreaks since the virus was discovered in northern Congo in 1976 - more than twice as many as any other country.
In 2015, a MSF hospital in the northern city of Kunduz was destroyed by a U.S. air strike, killing 42 people including 14 staff. The Pentagon later blamed the attack on human error and equipment failure.
The Nobel Peace Prize will be announced in Oslo on Friday, October 11 at 1100 a.m. (0900GMT).
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None