- Title: Voters head to polls in Kandahar as explosions rock Afghanistan
- Date: 28th September 2019
- Summary: HAYATULLAH'S FINGERPRINT BEING REGISTERED
- Embargoed: 12th October 2019 09:50
- Keywords: presidential election security Ashraf Ghani Abdullah Abdullah Taliban
- Location: KANDAHAR, AFGHANISTAN
- City: KANDAHAR, AFGHANISTAN
- Country: Afghanistan
- Topics: Government/Politics,Elections/Voting,Editors' Choice
- Reuters ID: LVA002AYKLB9J
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Voters in Kandahar went to polling stations around the city to cast their votes in presidential elections on Saturday (September 28).
Shortly after voting got underway, an explosion occurred near a polling station. Local officials said three people were injured. Small-scale explosions were also reported in other cities including Kabul and Jalalabad in the east. Around 21 people have been wounded, officials said. Noone has claimed responsibility.
Fourteen candidates are registered but the race will likely come down to incumbent President Ashraf Ghani and his former deputy Abdullah Abdullah.
The winner will play a crucial role in the country's quest to end the war with the Taliban and the resumption of talks between the insurgents and the United States that were called off earlier this month.
The hardline group, which controls more of the country than at any time since its regime was toppled in 2001, has threatened voters to stay away from the election or face dire consequences.
(Production: Ismail Sameem, Hameed Farzad, Sayed Hassib, Masako Iijima)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Footage contains computer game or software screenshots. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing this clip.