- Title: Human rights lawyer Amal Clooney possible contender for Nobel Peace Prize
- Date: 26th September 2019
- Summary: LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES (FILE - MAY 7, 2019) (REUTERS) ***WARNING: CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** VARIOUS OF AMAL AND GEORGE CLOONEY POSING ON RED CARPET AT 'CATCH-22' PREMIERE (SOUNDBITE) (English) ACTOR GEORGE CLOONEY, SPEAKING ABOUT THE RELEASE FROM PRISON OF REUTERS JOURNALISTS WA LONE AND KYAW SOE OO: "So last night, for my birthday - here's the thing, my wife spent the last year, every day, with Gail Gove and with Adler, Steven Adler (editor-in-chief Steve Adler and Chief Counsel Gail Gove) working as hard as you could work to get these guys, behind the scenes, to get these guys out. And last night for my birthday, at my birthday dinner, those two men walked out. And I have to tell you, I couldn't be more proud of my wife, I couldn't be more proud of Reuters and how they stuck up for journalism in a way that is important and it's a dangerous time. You know, Maria Ressa (award-winning head of news platform Rappler, a Philippine news website known for critical reports about President Rodrigo Duterte) is in trouble in the Philippines, Jason Rezaian (Washington Post reporter who spent 544 days in an Iranian prison) obviously you can look at several of them and it's a bad time. It's dangerous time to be a journalist. So to win one. I'm very proud of my wife and congratulations to everybody." AMAL CLOONEY WALKING PAST, ENTERING EVENT
- Embargoed: 10th October 2019 08:17
- Keywords: ISIS lawyer Yazidi Amal Clooney Reuters George Clooney journalists Nobel Peace Prize international human rights United Nations
- Location: VARIOUS
- City: VARIOUS
- Country: Iran
- Topics: Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA00GAYG9E87
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Amal Clooney, a barrister at Doughty Street Chambers specialising in international law and human rights, is among the possible contenders for this year's Nobel Peace Prize.
Amal is of Lebanese-British descent and married Hollywood actor George Clooney in September 2014. She has been involved in various high-profile human rights cases working with former Maldives president Mohamed Nasheed and Yazidi survivor of Islamic State, Nadia Murad.
In March, Clooney joined the legal team representing two Reuters reporters jailed in Myanmar who were accused of possessing secret government papers in what became a landmark press freedom case.
Wa Lone, 32, and Kyaw Soe Oo, 28, were convicted on September 3 under the colonial-era Official Secrets Act and sentenced to seven years in prison.
According to the Nobel Prize website, there are 331 candidates for the Nobel Peace Prize for 2018 out of which 216 are individuals and 115 are organisations. Three hundred and thirty-one is the second highest number of candidates ever. The record of 376 candidates was set in 2016.
The Nobel Peace Prize will be announced in Oslo on Friday, October 11 at 1100 a.m. (0900GMT).
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None