- Title: Incumbent Afghan President Ashraf Ghani votes
- Date: 28th September 2019
- Summary: KABUL, AFGHANISTAN (SEPTEMBER 28, 2019) (REUTERS) ***WARNING: CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** AFGHAN PRESIDENT ASHRAF GHANI ARRIVING TO CAST HIS VOTE AT AMANI HIGH SCHOOL VARIOUS OF GHANI BEING REGISTERED GHANI GOING TO CAST HIS VOTE GHANI CASTING HIS VOTE (SOUNDBITE) (Dari) AFGHAN PRESIDENT, ASHRAF GHANI, SAYING: "I thank the international community especially their attention to supervision and election transparency. We are demanding full supervision of the international community on all the processes of the elections." GHANI SHAKING HAND WITH HIS FIRST VICE PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATE AMRULLAH SALEH AND HIS WIFE BIBI GUL AND WALKING OUT MORE OF VOTING
- Embargoed: 12th October 2019 09:02
- Keywords: presidential election security Ashraf Ghani Abdullah Abdullah Taliban
- Location: KABUL,AFGHANISTAN
- City: KABUL,AFGHANISTAN
- Country: Afghanistan
- Topics: Government/Politics,Elections/Voting
- Reuters ID: LVA001AYKLJYF
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Afghan President Ashraf Ghani cast his ballots in elections on Saturday (September 28), seeking a second term.
As he voted, explosions hit Kabul as well as Ghazni and Jalalabad.
Over 9 million Afghans registered to vote amid fears of violence and fraud. Tens of thousands of Afghan forces were deployed across 34 provinces to protect voters and polling stations from Taliban attacks.
The hardline insurgent group has threatened voters to stay away from the election or face dire consequences.
(Production: Samargul Zwak, Sayed Hassib)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None