- Title: Argentina, Chile and Bolivia join global strike over climate change
- Date: 28th September 2019
- Summary: BUENOS AIRES, ARGENTINA (SEPTEMBER 27, 2019) (REUTERS) WOMAN CHANTING ON SPEAKER PHONE GENERAL OF PROTEST / BANNERS VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS WITH BANNERS / CHANTING (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) 17-YEAR-OLD STUDENT, JULIETA ITZCOVICH, SAYING: "We are here to demand that politicians take immediate action in the face of the climatic and ecological crisis in which we find ourselves, we cannot wait any longer. Young people want to have a future for our generation and for future generations too. Environmental justice is social justice and we cannot continue postponing this." VARIOUS OF PROTEST SANTIAGO, CHILE (SEPTEMBER 27, 2019) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS MARCHING (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) ACTIVIST, TRINIDAD FIORENTINO, SAYING: "I hope the Chilean government, as organizer and homeowner of the COP25 event, show real prominence that it is not a mask towards other countries but hoping things change from the inside, that is to say reverse the issue of sacrifice zones, which have millions of Chileans suffering and dying." VARIOUS OF PROTEST LA PAZ, BOLIVIA (SEPTEMBER 27, 2019) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF BOLIVIANS FORMING A HUMAN CHAIN DURING PROTEST VARIOUS OF GIRL DURING PROTEST WITH BANNER (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) PROTESTER, CONSUELO CAMPOS, SAYING: "Nature and human health are not going to forgive. If they are not interested in biodiversity then at least we will worry about our own health and children because it is the new generation that will suffer more from the consequences of these fires." VARIOUS OF PROTEST / HUMAN CHAIN WOMAN HOLDING UP BANNER THAT READS: (Spanish) "NOT ONLY HECTARES BUT LIVES" VARIOUS OF HUMAN CHAIN (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) PROTESTER, DASHA VELASCO, SAYING: "They are burning my future, they are burning all my hopes and I cannot accept it and can't stay at home as if nothing were happening because it is. It is as though they are burning my house." VARIOUS OF HUMAN CHAIN
- Embargoed: 12th October 2019 05:21
- Keywords: Climate change strike Argentina Chile Bolivia Greta movement
- Location: BUENOS AIRES, ARGENTINA / SANTIAGO, CHILE / LA PAZ, BOLIVIA
- City: BUENOS AIRES, ARGENTINA / SANTIAGO, CHILE / LA PAZ, BOLIVIA
- Country: Argentina
- Topics: Environment,Climate Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA001AYKN1ON
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Argentine, Chilean and Bolivia protesters joined global strikes on Friday (September 27) to raise their voices to demand action to protect the environment and combat climate change.
Across the world, students and workers left their schools, colleges and offices and marched along city streets to demand world leaders take urgent action to avert an environmental catastrophe.
Holding placards and chanting "protect the planet" dozens took part in strikes in Buenos Aires and Santiago. Dozens in La Paz, Bolivia formed a human chain in the street.
Climate change is a hot topic in Bolivia, where raging wildfires having devastated millions of hectares of forests.
The global climate strike is inspired by 16-year-old Swedish activist Greta Thunberg, who is currently in Canada leading the movement there.
(Production: Horacio Soria, Claudia Martini, Juan Bustamante, Esteban Medel, Monica Machicao, Sergio Limachi)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None