- Title: Fire, clashes, one dead at crowded Greek migrant camp on Lesbos
- Date: 29th September 2019
- Summary: LESBOS, GREECE (SEPTEMBER 29, 2019) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF MIGRANTS GATHERED AROUND BURNED CONTAINER HOMES STACKED ONE ON TOP OF THE OTHER AFTER FIRE BROKE OUT AT THE OVERCROWDED MORIA MIGRANT CAMP VARIOUS OF DOZENS OF MIGRANTS WALKING AROUND AND ON THE BURNED REMAINS OF THE CONTAINER HOMES
- Embargoed: 13th October 2019 18:34
- Keywords: Greek migrant crisis Moria fire Lesbos island
- Location: LESBOS, GREECE
- City: LESBOS, GREECE
- Country: Greece
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace
- Reuters ID: LVA001AYPNRK7
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: A fire broke out on Sunday (September 29) at a container inside a crowded refugee camp on the eastern Greek island of Lesbos, close to Turkey, and one person was killed, emergency services said.
Refugees clambered over the charred remains of several container homes stacked one on top of the other at the Moria camp, which currently houses about 12,000 people in overcrowded conditions.
Police said one burned body was taken to hospital in the island's capital Mytilini for identification by the coroner.
Police could not immediately reach an area of containers, where there were unconfirmed reports of another burned body.
Greece has been dealing with a resurgence in refugee and migrant flows in recent weeks from neighbouring Turkey.
More than 9,000 people arrived in August, the highest number in the three years since the European Union and Ankara implemented a deal to shut off the Aegean migrant route. More than 8,000 people have arrived so far in September.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None