- Title: Lebanese demonstrators decry deteriorating economic conditions
- Date: 29th September 2019
- Summary: BEIRUT, LEBANON (SEPTEMBER 29, 2019) (REUTERS) ***WARNING: CONTAINS PROFANITY*** PROTESTER SETTING TYRE ON FIRE IN THE MIDDLE OF THE ROAD VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS PUSHING BLOCK OF CEMENT TO THE MIDDLE OF THE ROAD TO BLOCK IT VARIOUS OF PEOPLE CHANTING AND STOMPING WITH THEIR FEET DURING PROTEST (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) PROTESTER, HISHAM MOHSEN, SAYING: "Nothing works in this country, not politics, not security, not food or drink, there's no life, there's nothing." VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS MARCHING THROUGH DOWNTOWN AREA OF BEIRUT VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS STANDING IN FRONT OF THE GRAND SERAIL HOLDING SIGNS READING (Arabic): 'Reclaiming Stolen Funds' (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) PROTESTER, HISHAM MOHSEN, SAYING: "All the people here today, including myself, follow someone (a political party), but we no longer have trust in them because they have taken us to a place that is dire and truly disgusting." VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS MARCHING HOLDING SIGNS AND LEBANESE FLAGS (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) PROTESTER, ROULA HAMMOUD, MOTHER OF THREE, SAYING: "We came out to demand that we live with dignity. We want to say to the MPs, the ministers, and all the ruling class that if they don't want to give back what they stole, they should at least stop stealing, so the people can live." VARIOUS OF PEOPLE DURING PROTEST STANDING IN FRONT OF INTERNAL SECURITY FORCES PROTESTER HOLDING SIGN READING (Arabic): 'We want a government of experts, not a government of blood suckers" VARIOUS OF PEOPLE WEARING ALL BLACK AND FACE MASKS SITTING DURING PROTEST (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) PROTESTER, ROULA HAMMOUD, MOTHER OF THREE, SAYING: "We ask the people, all the Lebanese people, to forget which religion or political party they belong to, and to come out to demand the most basic human rights, to live in dignity, to demand electricity, hospitals, to live a decent life." VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS BLOCKING ROADS WITH VEHICLES MAKING U-TURNS IN THE MIDDLE OF THE ROAD VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS BLOCKING ROAD USING BARRICADES
- Embargoed: 13th October 2019 16:29
- Keywords: Economy crisis tension clashes protests Beirut
- Location: BEIRUT, LEBANON
- City: BEIRUT, LEBANON
- Country: Lebanon
- Topics: Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA001AYPN5FR
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: WARNING: CONTAINS PROFANITY
Protesters blocked several main roads in the Lebanese capital, some setting tires and rubbish bins on fire, as several hundred people gathered in the heart of the city on Sunday (September 29) to protest corruption and deteriorating economic conditions.
Demonstrators carrying signs and flags marched along a main road, chanting "Down with capitalism" and "Leave!" amid heightened security in the area, while others stood outside parliament.
Protesters gathered in at least three other areas in Lebanon, including a main highway which leads to the Syrian capital Damascus, the state news agency said.
Lebanon, heavily indebted, faces financial strains linked to a slowdown in capital inflows needed for the funding of the government and the import-dependent economy. Years of low growth have also weighed on the economy.
(Production: Imad Creidi, Ahma El Kerdi)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None