- Title: Navalny joins protesters at opposition rally in Moscow
- Date: 29th September 2019
- Summary: VARIOUS OF PEOPLE BEING CHECKED BY POLICE AT ENTRANCE VARIOUS OF PROTESTER HOLDING PLACARD READING (Russian): 'I AM NOT SURE IF I WILL BE FREE BUT RUSSIA WILL BE FREE. YEGOR ZHUKOV' (SOUNDBITE) (Russian) STUDENT, DANILA ANTONOV, SAYING: "Civil society has already set free six of those involved in the (so-called) 'Moscow case' and I think that only by putting more public pressure can we make sure others are also freed." (SOUNDBITE) (Russian) PROTESTER FROM NOVOSIBIRSK, NILA KORZHAYEVA, SAYING: "I am an active citizen and I am not fine with the fact that it is possible to unlawfully jail anybody. I cannot say anything more because all of that is made up, it is done on purpose to intimidate people so that they have no freedom." (SOUNDBITE) (Russian) PROTESTER, YEKATERINA BOGATOVA, SAYING: "For me it is very important that the rally is authorised because after July 27 I am scared to attend any unauthorised events. But I think it is very important that our courts are just, not like the court cases we had just now. Maybe we can influence it from here somehow. At least I hope so." VARIOUS OF WOMEN HANDING OUT PLACARDS IN SUPPORT OF PRISONERS
- Embargoed: 13th October 2019 13:34
- Keywords: Russian protests political prisoners Russian opposition Moscow protests protests agains police violence rally in Moscow Alexei Navalny
- Location: MOSCOW, RUSSIA
- City: MOSCOW, RUSSIA
- Country: Russia
- Topics: Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA002AYPN70N
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: A Moscow rally to demand the release of protesters had drawn 9,000 people on Sunday as of 1200 GMT and more people were arriving, a Russian protest monitor, White Counter, said on Twitter.
It said police were not blocking the entrance to the venue.
The rally, called to demand the release of protesters jailed this summer, has been authorised by the Moscow mayor's office, meaning mass detentions by police are less likely to happen.
(Production: Dmitry Madorskiy, Lev Sergeev, Maria Vasilyeva)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None