- Title: Ukraine's special forces fight in virtual world
- Date: 29th September 2019
- Summary: KIEV, UKRAINE (SEPTEMBER 28, 2019) (REUTERS) UKRAINIAN SPECIAL FORCES OFFICERS POSING FOR PHOTOS WITH BOY VARIOUS OF SPECIAL FORCES OFFICERS POSING FOR PHOTOS PHOTOGRAPHERS TAKING PICTURES (SOUNDBITE) (Russian) UKRAINIAN SPECIAL OPERATIONS REGIMENT NUMBER 3 OFFICER, ROMAN, SAYING: "When you play (computer games) you relax. You know that you can play against army servicemen just like you online and to work on certain tactics, which you can later use during training or in combat."
- Embargoed: 13th October 2019 10:42
- Keywords: Ukraine CEEgames Counter Strike CEE Ukrainian special forces Electronics and Videogames Exhibition Kiev computer games
- Location: KIEV, UKRAINE
- City: KIEV, UKRAINE
- Country: Ukraine
- Topics: Arts / Culture / Entertainment,Video Games
- Reuters ID: LVA001AYPMFCP
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Ukrainian special forces officers used their combat skills against young civilians on Saturday (September 28) in a computer gaming tournament in the capital Kiev.
The Counter Strike: Global Offensive tournament was held at a gaming exhibition named CEE - the largest annual electronics and gaming exhibition in Ukraine, held since 2006.
Besides presentation of the latest games, visitors also tested new gaming equipment: monitors, speakers, consoles and laptops.
Special forces servicemen dressed in full gear with their faces covered in masks, posed for photos with young gaming fans and tried their best tactics when it came to the tournament, but lost to the team of visitors.
However, they managed to reach their other goal - to remind the visitors and young people about the war, which was still going on in the country.
Relations between Ukraine and Russia went into freefall after Moscow's annexation of Crimea in 2014 and the subsequent outbreak of a Kremlin-backed separatist insurgency in eastern Ukraine that has killed 13,000 people. Sporadic fighting continues despite a ceasefire agreement.
Russia denies sending troops and weapons to eastern Ukraine.
(Production: Yuri Muravyov, Maria Stromova)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None