- Title: Hong Kong police fire tear gas to disperse protesters
- Date: 29th September 2019
- Summary: HONG KONG, CHINA (SEPTEMBER 29, 2019) (REUTERS) VARIOUS PROTESTERS RUNNING AWAY AFTER HONG KONG POLICE FIRE TEAR GAS TO DISPERSE PROTESTERS PROTESTERS HELPING A PERSON AFFECTED BY TEAR GAS TO MOVE MORE OF TEAR GAS AT PROTEST SITE RIOT POLICE MOVING TOWARDS PROTESTERS VARIOUS OF RIOT POLICE DETAINING PROTESTER
- Embargoed: 13th October 2019 08:16
- Keywords: Hong Kong protest protesters rally
- Location: HONG KONG, CHINA
- City: HONG KONG, CHINA
- Country: Hong Kong
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Civil Unrest,Editors' Choice
- Reuters ID: LVA001AYPL007
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Hong Kong police fired tear gas to disperse protesters in a shopping area on Sunday (September 29) ahead of a rally.
The protest on Sunday followed after another night of violent clashes with police after weeks of pro-democracy unrest in the Chinese-ruled city.
Protests were sparked in June by planned legislation, since withdrawn, that would have allowed the extradition of suspected criminals to mainland China. But they have since expanded into a broader pro-democracy movement.
(Production: Ebrahim Harris, Yiming Woo, Joyce Zhou, Masako Iijima, Angie Teo)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None