- Title: Reporters Without Borders contender for Nobel Peace Prize
- Date: 28th September 2019
- Summary: RAMALLAH, WEST BANK (FILE - FEBRUARY 10, 2018) (REUTERS) INDIAN PRIME MINISTER, NARENDRA MODI, SPEAKING PARIS, FRANCE (FILE - APRIL 24, 2018) (REUTERS) RSF EMPLOYEES WORKING (SOUNDBITE) (French) RSF SECRETARY-GENERAL, CHRISTOPHE DELOIRE, SAYING: "This year, the United States are ranked 45th in the global ranking of the freedom of the press. From afar, you could say that in the United States there is only a president tweeting insults and newspapers boosted by an anti-Trump movement and that's it. But actually, when you go deeper in the United States, in the states themselves, you can observe the situation of journalists is harder: more arrests during protests, more difficult access to sources, a less respected Freedom of Information Act. The situation is getting worse, beyond the Trump phenomenon in the United States." BRATISLAVA, SLOVAKIA (FILE - MARCH 3, 2018) (REUTERS) PEOPLE STANDING IN FRONT OF MEMORIAL TO MURDERED INVESTIGATIVE JOURNALIST JAN KUCIAK
- Embargoed: 12th October 2019 09:05
- Keywords: Nobel Peace Prize contender nominee Reporters Without Borders journalism RSF Reuters
- Location: PARIS, FRANCE / YANGON AND NAYPYITAW, MYANMAR / HONG KONG, CHINA / JOINT BASE ANDREWS, MARYLAND, UNITED STATES / INTERNET / BRATISLAVA, SLOVAKIA / VALLETTA AND BIDNIJA, MALTA / BERLIN, GERMANY / SINGAPORE /
- City: PARIS, FRANCE / YANGON AND NAYPYITAW, MYANMAR / HONG KONG, CHINA / JOINT BASE ANDREWS, MARYLAND, UNITED STATES / INTERNET / BRATISLAVA, SLOVAKIA / VALLETTA AND BIDNIJA, MALTA / BERLIN, GERMANY / SINGAPORE /
- Country: Various
- Topics: Society/Social Issues
- Reuters ID: LVA004AYG7ZNR
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Rights group Reporters Without Borders (RSF) is tipped to be a contender for the 2019 Nobel Peace Prize.
RSF promotes freedom of information and is the world's biggest NGO "specializing in the defense of media freedom, which we regard as the basic human right to be informed and to inform others," according to its website.
The groups says it defends journalists who may hold opposing views in an "independent manner" and has been vocal in calling for press freedom in various countries including Myanmar, the United States and Turkey.
The Nobel Peace Prize, worth 9 million Swedish crowns (9,300,000 million USD), will be announced in Oslo on Friday October 11, at 11:00 a.m. (0900 GMT) and presented on December 10, 2019.
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None