- Title: Fire, clashes, one dead at crowded Greek migrant camp on Lesbos
- Date: 29th September 2019
- Summary: LESBOS, GREECE (SEPTEMBER 29, 2019) (REUTERS) CLOUD OF TEARGAS RISING INSIDE MORIA CAMP (AUDIO OF PEOPLE SHOUTING) MIGRANT KNEELING BY FENCE AND COVERING HIS FACE WITH WATER MIGRANT COVERING HIS FACE WITH A HANDKERCHIEF AND RUNNING BY KNEELING MAN, MORE MIGRANTS RUNNING AWAY FROM EFFECT OF TEARGAS MIGRANTS CLIMBING ON FENCE MIGRANT WOMAN WALKING BY FENCE COVERING HER FACE AND COUGHING MIGRANT COVERING HIS FACE AND LOOKING AT TEARGAS RISING FROM BEHIND MAKESHIFT TENTS GROUP OF MIGRANTS COUGHING AND SPITTING AFTER INHALING TEARGAS MIGRANT WOMAN SOBBING AND BEING GIVEN WATER TO DRINK AFTER INHALING TEARGAS VARIOUS OF MAN INSIDE MAKESHIFT TENT HOLDING A CHILD IN HIS ARMS AND COVERING THEIR FACES WITH A SHIRT VARIOUS OF DOZENS OF MIGRANTS GATHERED AROUND BURNED CONTAINER HOMES STACKED ONE ON TOP OF THE OTHER AFTER FIRE BROKE OUT AT THE OVERCROWDED CAMP MIGRANT CARRYING FIREHOSE AND WALKING ON TOP OF CONTAINER VARIOUS OF RIOT POLICE AND MIGRANTS INSIDE CAMP VARIOUS OF MIGRANTS WALKING OVER AND INSIDE BURNED CONTAINERS VARIOUS OF MIGRANTS STANDING AMONG BURNED RUINS
- Embargoed: 13th October 2019 20:03
- Keywords: Greek migrant crisis Moria campt fire Lesbos island migrants teargassed
- Location: LESBOS, GREECE
- City: LESBOS, GREECE
- Country: Greece
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace
- Reuters ID: LVA001AYPNT53
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: One person was killed when a fire broke out on Sunday (September 29) at a container inside a crowded refugee camp on the eastern Greek island of Lesbos close to Turkey, emergency services said.
Refugees clashed with police who responded with teargas inside the Moria camp, which currently houses about 12,000 people in overcrowded conditions.
Migrants ran from the teargas, covering their faces, and one woman was seen crying as she was offered water.
Police said one burned body was taken to hospital in the island's capital Mytilini for identification by the coroner. Police sent reinforcements to the island along with the chief of police to help restore order.
Greece has been dealing with a resurgence in refugee and migrant flows in recent weeks from neighbouring Turkey. Nearly a million refugees fleeing war in Syria and migrants crossed from Turkey to Greece's islands in 2015.
More than 9,000 people arrived in August, the highest number in the three years since the European Union and Ankara implemented a deal to shut off the Aegean migrant route. More than 8,000 people have arrived so far in September.
(Production: Vassilis Triantafyllou, Giorgos Moutafis, Phoebe Fronista)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None