- Title: Mexican artists paint murals at border to protest Trump's wall
- Date: 29th September 2019
- Summary: VARIOUS OF PEOPLE GATHERED TO WATCH PAINTING OF MURALS LOCALS WALKING NEAR BORDER AREA COMPLETED MURAL WITH MESSAGE THAT READS (Spanish) "NO WALLS. NO MILITARY" BORDER FENCE PEOPLE GATHERED FOR MURAL PAINTING
- Embargoed: 13th October 2019 16:55
- Keywords: Central America military artists border wall Ciudad Juarez Mexico protest President Donald Trump migrants
- Location: CIUDAD JUAREZ, CHIHUAHUA, MEXICO
- City: CIUDAD JUAREZ, CHIHUAHUA, MEXICO
- Country: Mexico
- Topics: Asylum/Immigration/Refugees,Government/Politics,Editors' Choice
- Reuters ID: LVA003AYPMCZR
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Mexican artists gathered near the international border between Mexico and the United States on Saturday (September 28) to paint protest murals denouncing a proposed wall between the two countries and the militarisation of the shared frontier.
El Paso, Texas sits just across the border from the Mexican city of Ciudad Juarez, and the two cities have close cultural and economic ties.
But an increased military presence at the border has seen crossing time delays amidst fears over undocumented migrants.
The artists hope that their murals will break down fears in the border area.
In February, Trump declared a national emergency in order to divert funding for wall construction when Congress refused to provide the amount he requested. As a candidate in 2016, Trump had promised that Mexico would pay for the wall. It has refused to do so.
(Production: Jose Luis Gonzalez, Rodolfo Pena Roja)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.