- Title: Fire strikes Saudi high-speed train station, at least five injured
- Date: 29th September 2019
- Summary: JEDDAH, SAUDI ARABIA (FILE - OCTOBER 1, 2018) (REUTERS) PEOPLE ENTERING JEDDAH METRO STATION TICKETS MACHINES INSIDE STATION VARIOUS OF SIGN READING (Arabic/ English) ''Platform 1-6'' TRAIN IN STATION TRAIN MOVING IN STATION SCREEN SHOWING ROUTE FROM JEDDAH TO MEDINA PASSENGERS LEAVING TRAIN
- Embargoed: 13th October 2019 16:25
- Keywords: Saudi Arabia fire Jeddah Medina Jeddah metro station
- Location: JEDDAH, SAUDI ARABIA
- City: JEDDAH, SAUDI ARABIA
- Country: Saudi Arabia
- Topics: Disaster/Accidents,Fires
- Reuters ID: LVA002AYPNKG7
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: A fire broke out in the Haramain high-speed rail station in Saudi Arabia's coastal city of Jeddah, injuring at least five people, the authorities said on Sunday (September 29).
Plumes of black smoke were still rising from the roof of the station at least four hours after the fire broke out at 12.35 p.m. (0935 GMT), footage showed.
Al-Ekhbariya state television said civil defence were fighting the fire with air support and many sections of the blaze were under control.
Five people were transported to hospital with injuries, the official Twitter account of Mecca region reported. It said 16 medical teams were working at the scene.
Al-Ekhbariya said four people were treated on site.
The 450-km (280-mile) Haramain Railway linking the two holiest cities in Islam, Mecca and Medina, with the Red Sea city of Jeddah, was opened in 2018 and cost 6.7 billion euros (Â£5.96 billion).
The station is part of efforts to boost tourism revenue as the country seeks to shed its dependence on oil exports.
(Production: Nael Shyoukhi)
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None