- Title: Pro-Beijing groups rally in Hong Kong ahead of Chinese National Day
- Date: 29th September 2019
- Summary: (SOUNDBITE) (Cantonese) 60-YEAR-OLD, SINGING CHINESE NATIONAL ANTHEM PARTICIPANT, TSUI MING FAI, SAYING: ''I've never though China would become where it is today. If Chinese is not as prosperous as now, the world would never know us as Chinese. So when I was singing songs here, I was very touched.''
- Embargoed: 13th October 2019 09:14
- Keywords: Hong Kong protests pro-Beijing rally
- Location: HONG KONG, CHINA
- City: HONG KONG, CHINA
- Country: Hong Kong
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Civil Unrest,Editors' Choice
- Reuters ID: LVA004AYPL2DJ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Pro-China demonstrators gathered Hong Kong landmarks on Sunday (September 29), singing the Chinese national anthem and happy birthday song to celebrate the 70th anniversary of the founding of the country.
About 200 dressed in red T-shirts gathered near Victoria Harbour and on top of the Peak.
Mandy Chan, a former athlete in her 50s, a Chinese flag sticker plastered on her cheek, said she is proud to be a Chinese and hope the pro-democracy protesting kids will 'wake up' someday.
Later in the day, Hong Kong police fired tear gas and pepper spray to break up anti-government protesters as the government announced city leader Carrie Lam will be out of town for China's Oct. 1 National Day celebrations, removing a possible new flashpoint.
(Production: Joyce Zhou)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None