- Title: Chanel takes to Parisian rooftops for youthful spring collection
- Date: 1st October 2019
- Summary: PARIS, FRANCE (OCTOBER 1, 2019) (REUTERS) MODELS INCLUDING CINDY CRAWFORD'S DAUGHTER, KAIA GERBER, STANDING ON ROOFTOP-INSPIRED IN CHANEL'S SPRING/SUMMER 2020 SHOW VARIOUS OF MODEL KAIA GERBER IN SHORT BALLOON SKIRT, OFF-THE-SHOULDER BLACK RUFFLED TOP AND HAT VARIOUS OF MODEL IN TWEED SHORTS AND JACKET COMBO, AND STRAPPED FLATS MODEL GIGI HADID IN TEXTURED TOP, GOLD BELT, BLACK SHORT SHORTS AND BLACK STOCKINGS MODELS IN TWEED COMBOS MODEL IN TWEED DRESS AND PINK, WHITE AND BLACK, AND TWEED SHORT JACKET MODEL IN DENIM PEDAL-PUSHERS AND DENIM JACKET WITH WHITE RUFFLES AND WIDE SLEEVES MODEL IN JACKET AND LONG SKIRT WITH BOLD CHANEL LETTERS VARIOUS OF MODEL IN LONG SEQUINED BLACK DRESS MODELS IN TWEED LOOKS MODEL IN LONG SEQUINED BLACK DRESS MODEL IN LONG SEQUINED DRESS / CHANEL CREATIVE DIRECTOR VIRGINIE VIARD, WHO SUCCEEDED KARL LAGERFELD GREETING AUDIENCE WITH A NOD AND WALKING AWAY
- Embargoed: 15th October 2019 13:44
- Keywords: Chanel Kaia Gerber. Gigi Hadid rooftops Paris Fashion Week
- Location: PARIS, FRANCE
- City: PARIS, FRANCE
- Country: France
- Topics: Arts / Culture / Entertainment
- Reuters ID: LVA001AZ9NTY1
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: PLEASE NOTE: EDIT 2172-FASHION-PARIS/CHANEL-INTRUDER HAS MORE STILL PHOTOS OF THE INTRUDER
Chanel paraded its models along Paris's emblematic grey zinc rooftops for its fashion show on Tuesday (October 1), in an atmospheric recreation of the city's skyline complete with a brooding sky.
The French brand, known for its larger-than-life sets popularised under late designer Karl Lagerfeld, is one of the last major labels on display as Paris Fashion Week comes to a close, along with LVMH's Louis Vuitton.
All eyes are on how Lagerfeld's successor Virginie Viard, who worked behind the scenes for many years at Chanel, will mark her stamp on the brand, after several months in the job.
The latest ready-to-wear collection, for next spring and summer, was decidedly youthful, with cropped, playsuit versions of its famed tweed suits setting the tone, and plenty of coral and red hues.
Kaia Gerber, the 18-year-old daughter of supermodel Cindy Crawford, wore a short, flared white skirt paired with an off-the-shoulder, "Brigitte Bardot-style" tulle top and a kooky mini cowboy hat.
Rapper Cardi B and actress Isabelle Adjani were among celebrity guests looking on, as models including Gigi Hadid showed off hotpants paired with sequined tops, and flowy ensembles with giant Chanel logo patterns.
"I thought she added a kind of insouciance which was nice to see. I think she played with volumes a little bit more. I thought there was a sense of a woman enjoying putting on the clothes in the morning," Fashion Network.com global editor-in-chief Godfrey Deeney said.
A comedian, all decked out in Chanel, caused a small commotion at the end of the catwalk show by joining the models taking a last lap around the set, must the amusement of other guests.
Chanel said it was an unplanned event, and that security escorted the intruder to the exit after the show.
(Production: Clotaire Achi, Michaela Cabrera)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.