- Title: Students of Chirac's high school bid him adieu with minute of silence
- Date: 30th September 2019
- Summary: VARIOUS OF CHIRAC'S HIGH SCHOOL CLASS PHOTO ON DISPLAY (IN MIDDLE, WITH PATTERNED NECK-TIE AND WHITE SHIRT)
- Embargoed: 14th October 2019 16:20
- Keywords: Jacques Chirac former president France minute of silence Paris
- Location: PARIS, FRANCE
- City: PARIS, FRANCE
- Country: France
- Topics: Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA002AYUOLDZ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Students of late former French president Jacques Chirac's high school paid him tribute with a minute's silence on Monday (September 30).
Chirac, a political chameleon who dominated French politics for decades and strived to make France's voice heard in Europe and beyond, died on Thursday (September 26) at the age of 86.
Hundreds of high-school students joined the minute's silence, led by French Education Minister Jean-Michel Blanquer.
Though the students were still children when Chirac was president, they recalled some highlights such as when he welcomed Pope John Paul II to France, or when he led Bastille Day celebrations.
Chirac's old report cards and class photos are still housed at the institution, a reminder of the responsibilities students should uphold, high school principal Jean Bastianenni said.
Born in 1932 to a middle-class family from the rural central French region of Correze, Chirac began his political career in the late 1950's after studying at the elite Sciences Po University and ENA civil service academy.
Chirac was laid to rest at Montparnasse cemetery on Monday afternoon during a private burial ceremony.
The burial followed a military honours ceremony for Chirac at the Hotel des Invalides, during which French president Emmanuel Macron saluted his predecessor who served as the country's president for 12 years from 1995 to 2007.
(Production: Clotaire Achi, Ardee Napolitano)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Footage contains photographs or artwork. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing this clip.