- Title: Knights mount bikes for jousting contest in Berlin
- Date: 30th September 2019
- Summary: MAN ON BICYCLE HITTING NUTS ON POLES WITH HAMMER MAN FALLING OFF BICYCLE AFTER CRASHING INTO ANOTHER CYCLIST BICYCLE ON GROUND PEOPLE WAVING FLAGS SPECTATORS WITH DRINKS MAN ADJUSTING ANOTHER MAN'S KNIGHT COSTUME
- Embargoed: 14th October 2019 14:32
- Keywords: medieval knights bikes battle
- Location: BERLIN, GERMANY
- City: BERLIN, GERMANY
- Country: Germany
- Reuters ID: LVA005AYULMQH
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Medieval enthusiasts donned knight costumes replete with shields to show off their jousting skills in a contest held in Berlin over the weekend (September 28 and September 29). But instead of mounting a trusty steed, the participants boarded bicycles in battle helmets to charge at their opponents with lances.
Beer-guzzling spectators cheered as a triumphant knight hit his target, sending the other knight tumbling to the ground.
"When you hold the lance and hit your opponent, it really affects your wrist and hand so I think injuries in that area, along with bruises etc, will definitely be the worst thing that happens," said one participant wearing protective armour who gave his stage name as "Fundus Fusselfresse".
In another event, one brave knight charged solo at a row of rowdy combatants brandishing an array of colourful shields, only to be quickly overcome by the big group and surrounded.
For the first time in the history of the so-called Berlin pedal battle - which was happening for the eighth time - women took to the battlefield.
"Women have the same rights as men and we're allowed to fight just like the men," said a woman clad in black feathers who gave her stage name as "Mist of Sky".
"This time there's a women's team, the MC Valkyries clan, the Valkyries, and we want to lead the men to Valhalla," she said.
(Production: Martin Schlicht, Michelle Martin)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.