- Title: BRAZIL-MERKEL/ARRIVAL Merkel arrives in Brazil for bilateral meetings
- Date: 20th August 2015
- Summary: CLOSE-UP OF TRUMPETER
- Embargoed: 4th September 2015 13:00
- Location: Brazil
- Country: Brazil
- Topics: General
- Reuters ID: LVAAB0W703AOCUI3NUDH3H0HU5T6
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: German Chancellor Angela Merkel arrived in the Brazilian capital on Wednesday (August 19) night, where she will press for better investment terms to German companies that have poured over 19 billion euros ($21 billion) into the struggling economy but face rising energy costs, government officials said.
Merkel travelled to Brasilia for a two-day visit with a delegation including representatives from 11 government departments and large German companies.
No major corporate deals are due to be announced on the trip but the investment framework will be high on the agenda for the Germans, who have 1,300 companies active in Brazil - an economy reeling from its sharpest slowdown in three decades.
A senior German official involved in preparing the trip, Merkel's fourth to Brazil, said the overall investment climate could be improved to make it more attractive for German investments in Brazil.
Brazil is hobbled by legislative gridlock, a lack of viable alternatives to the established political parties and an economic reversal that has pushed its currency to a 12-year low.
The senior German official described Brazil's economic troubles as "cause for concern" but added that Brazil is an important partner.
German officials expect to work with the Brazilians to find common ground on climate policy before a U.N. conference in December, at which some 200 countries will try to agree on limiting the rise in global temperatures to 2 degrees Celsius (35.6 degrees Fahrenheit).
The Germans are expected to sign joint agreements with the Brazilian government on climate policy and innovation cooperation during this week's trip.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.