- Title: Macron leads military honours for Chirac in Paris
- Date: 30th September 2019
- Summary: PARIS, FRANCE (SEPTEMBER 30, 2019) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF SOLDIERS CARRYING COFFIN OF FORMER FRENCH PRESIDENT, JACQUES CHIRAC, COVERED IN FRENCH FLAG DURING MILITARY HONOURS CEREMONY AT HOTEL DES INVALIDES SOLDIERS SETTING DOWN COFFIN
- Embargoed: 14th October 2019 10:47
- Keywords: Jacques Chirac former president military honours ceremony Invalides Emmanuel Macron coffin
- Location: PARIS, FRANCE
- City: PARIS, FRANCE
- Country: France
- Topics: Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA001AYUNH3B
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: PLEASE NOTE: SEE EDITS 1147-FRANCE-CHIRAC/CHURCH-ARRIVALS AND 1153-FRANCE-CHIRAC/CHURCH-LEADERS FOR OTHER MEMORIAL EVENTS AND 8055-PEOPLE-JACQUES CHIRAC/FILE FOR FILE IMAGES
French President Emmanuel Macron paid tribute to his deceased predecessor Jacques Chirac at a military honours ceremony on Monday (September 30).
Chirac, a political chameleon who dominated French politics for decades and strived to make France's voice heard in Europe and beyond, died on Thursday (September 26) at the age of 86.
Chirac passed away peacefully surrounded by his loved ones, his son-in-law Frederic Salat-Baroux told Reuters.
Macron, accompanied by dozens of military personnel and Defence Minister Florence Parly, saluted Chirac's coffin set on the ground of the courtyard of Paris's Invalides military museum.
A national commemoration ceremony for Chirac, who was France's president for 12 years from 1995 to 2007, followed at the Saint Sulpice church later on Monday.
World leaders, including former United States president Bill Clinton and Russian President Vladimir Putin, and other personalities were in attendance.
(Production: Clotaire Achi, Ardee Napolitano)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None