- Title: France, world leaders honour Chirac with funeral service in Paris
- Date: 30th September 2019
- Summary: PARIS, FRANCE (SEPTEMBER 30, 2019) (REUTERS) POLICE VARIOUS OF HEARSE ARRIVING, ENTERING CEMETERY PEOPLE WATCHING ARRIVAL POLICE CLOSING CEMETERY GATE PRIVATE BURIAL OF CHIRAC TAKING PLACE
- Embargoed: 14th October 2019 14:51
- Keywords: Jacques Chirac France Saint-Sulpice church ceremony guard of honour funeral Paris Putin former president Clinton hearse Sarkozy
- Location: PARIS, FRANCE
- City: PARIS, FRANCE
- Country: France
- Topics: Defence,Government/Politics,Editors' Choice
- Reuters ID: LVA00MAYUNW3R
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: THIS IS A HIGHLIGHTS WRAP OF MATERIAL THAT HAS ALREADY BEEN PUBLISHED. IT DOES NOT CONTAIN ANY FRESH MATERIAL
World leaders, past and present, stood in silence in Paris on Monday (September 30) at a funeral service for Jacques Chirac, the French leader remembered at home for his folksy charisma and abroad for opposing the 2003 invasion of Iraq.
France's Emmanuel Macron, Russia's Vladimir Putin and former U.S. president Bill Clinton were among the mourners in the aisles of the Saint Sulpice church for the mass in memory of Chirac, who died last week aged 86.
Chirac's coffin, draped in the French flag, rested at the front of the church after having been driven in a procession escorted by police motorcyclists along streets lined by thousands of Parisians.
The former president was later buried at a private ceremony at the Montparnasse cemetery in Paris, in a plot next to his daughter Laurence, who died in 2016.
Chirac, who served as president from 1995 to 2007, was feted by many French people for asserting their country's role as a global player, a stance that put him at odds with Washington over the invasion of Iraq in 2003.
(Production: Thierry Chiarello, Noemie Olive, Paul Warren)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None