- Title: Hong Kong police disperse protesters with tear gas
- Date: 1st October 2019
- Summary: HONG KONG, CHINA (OCTOBER 1, 2019) (REUTERS) RIOT POLICE FIRING TEAR GAS SMOKE BILLOWING FROM TEAR GAS CANISTER BELOW BARRICADES / PROTESTERS USING UMBRELLAS AS SHIELDS PROTESTERS BEHIND BARRICADES / TEAR GAS SMOKE RIOT POLICE RUNNING PROTESTERS RUNNING PROTESTERS CARRYING POLES AND WALKING PROTESTERS USING TRAFFIC CONES TO BLOCK ROADS VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS GATHERED ON ROAD
- Embargoed: 15th October 2019 08:04
- Keywords: Hong Kong protest crackdown police teargas clashes unrest
- Location: HONG KONG, CHINA
- City: HONG KONG, CHINA
- Country: Hong Kong
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Civil Unrest
- Reuters ID: LVA001AZ9KK7B
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Tear gas have been fired on Tuesday (October 1) by Hong Kong police as demonstrators fan out across the city.
Despite the strong police presence dispatched in an attempt to ensure that protests do not overshadow celebrations in Beijing, thousands of black-clad protesters armed with umbrellas and poles took to the streets defying a government ban on a rally.
The former British colony has been racked by nearly four months of street clashes and demonstrations, posing the gravest popular challenge to Chinese President Xi Jinping since he came to power.
Protesters have vowed to seize on the 70th anniversary of the founding of the People's Republic of China to propel their calls for greater democracy onto the international stage, hijacking an occasion Beijing sees as an opportunity to showcase China's economic and military progress.
(Production: Angie Teo, Joyce Zhou, Mark Ho)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None