- Title: Hong Kong protesters set bins on fire
- Date: 1st October 2019
- Summary: HONG KONG, CHINA (OCTOBER 1, 2019) (REUTERS) BINS BEING SET ON FIRE FIRE AND BLACK FUMES OF SMOKE / MEDIA TAKING PHOTOS / PROTESTERS STANDING AND WATCHING PROTESTERS STANDING AND LOOKING ON VARIOUS BINS ON FIRE AND BLACK FUMES OF SMOKE FIRE TRUCK ARRIVING VARIOUS OF FIREMAN PUTTING OUT FIRE VARIOUS OF FRONT LINE PROTESTERS MARCHING PROTESTERS CLAPPING HANDS MORE OF PROTESTERS WALKING WITH FULL PROTECTION GEAR WHILE OTHERS CLAP
- Embargoed: 15th October 2019 10:39
- Keywords: Hong Kong MTR protesters fire
- Location: HONG KONG, CHINA
- City: HONG KONG, CHINA
- Country: Hong Kong
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Civil Unrest,Editors' Choice
- Reuters ID: LVA001AZ9KMKN
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Hong Kong protesters set fire to bins used to burn joss paper on Tuesday (October 1) as they upped the ante to attack the Chinese-backed authorities on the 70th anniversary of the founding of the People's Republic of China.
A group of protesters outside the venue shouted "No national day celebrations, only national day mourning", and called for those arrested during recent clashes to be released.
Police fired pepper spray during a scuffle outside a nearby train station. While protesters and police were also engaged in running battles using petrol bombs, water canons and tear gas shells.
The former British colony has been racked by nearly four months of street clashes and demonstrations, posing the gravest popular challenge to Chinese President Xi Jinping since he came to power.
(Production: Xihao Jiang, Angie Teo, Juarawee Kittisilpa)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None