- Title: Ukraine's rebel-held Donetsk begins population census
- Date: 1st October 2019
- Summary: DONETSK, UKRAINE (OCTOBER 1, 2019) (REUTERS) ***WARNING: CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** VARIOUS OF FORMER SOVIET LEADER VLADIMIR LENIN MONUMENT SELF-PROCLAIMED DONETSK PEOPLE'S REPUBLIC'S FLAGS SURVEY STATION VARIOUS OF MAN TAKING PART IN CENSUS (SOUNDBITE) (Russian) DONETSK RESIDENT, ARTYOM, SAYING: "I think taking part in the population census is a duty of any resident of the republic. It is helpful for its further development and for defining the necessities of its residents." CENSUS IN PROGRESS VARIOUS OF BILLBOARD WITH SIGN READING (Russian): 'OCTOBER 1 - 14 / WE TAKE PART IN THE POPULATION CENSUS' CENSUS AGENT WALKING INTO RESIDENTIAL BUILDING AGENT AT DOOR, RINGS BELL, WALKS INSIDE AGENT DURING SURVEY AGENT WRITING (SOUNDBITE) (Russian) DONETSK RESIDENT, ARTYOM, SAYING: "For me the census is a responsibility and hope that life would settle. I would like to believe, that the future is coming soon. And I hope that the census will help the republic move forward. I am sure of that." SURVEY IN PROGRESS VARIOUS OF PARK (SOUNDBITE) (Russian) DONETSK RESIDENT, LIUDMILA, SAYING: "(The census is essential) at least to know how many people live here. This is valuable data - how many children we have, how many adults. It is also an account in a way." ENTRANCE TO STATISTICS BUREAU STATISTICS BUREAU LOGO (SOUNDBITE) (Russian) HEAD OF MAIN STATISTICS BUREAU OF SELF-PROCLAIMED DONETSK PEOPLE'S REPUBLIC, GALINA SKOBTSOVA, SAYING: "The time is ripe for the census. It is important for our republic, we need to understand how many people stayed here, what is the composition of this population and how these people are spread in the territory of Donetsk People's Republic. So the objective is clear and the name of the event defines it. I will repeat - it is essential for the republic. Why do we need it? To eventually plan further economic development of our republic to tackle social issues. We have a lot of issues which need solutions. And for this again we need to understand how many of us are here." CARS DRIVING PAST SELF-PROCLAIMED REPUBLIC FLAGS
- Embargoed: 15th October 2019 17:41
- Keywords: Ukraine Donetsk DPR rebels census population census Minsk agreements Donetsk People's Republic
- Location: DONETSK, UKRAINE
- City: DONETSK, UKRAINE
- Country: Ukraine
- Topics: Society/Social Issues
- Reuters ID: LVA001AZ9P6X3
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: The self-proclaimed Donetsk People's Republic in Ukraine's east started on Tuesday (October 1) a population census across its region.
The head of the main statistics bureau Galina Skobtsova said the survey, which ends on October 14, was essential for planning the economic development of the region.
Kiev's forces have been battling pro-Russian separatists in the Donetsk and Luhansk regions of eastern Ukraine since 2014, in a conflict that has claimed more than 13,000 lives. Sporadic fighting continues despite a ceasefire agreement reached in the Belarus capital Minsk in 2015.
(Production: Alexander Ermochenko, Anton Derbenev)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None