- Title: Zelenskiy says no election at gunpoint in east Ukraine if Russian troops present
- Date: 1st October 2019
- Summary: KIEV, UKRAINE (OCTOBER 1, 2019) (REUTERS) UKRAINIAN PRESIDENT VOLODYMYR ZELENSKIY SPEAKING FROM PODIUM (SOUNDBITE) (Ukrainian) UKRAINIAN PRESIDENT, VOLODYMYR ZELENSKIY SAYING: "Today the main obstacles on the path to the Normandy four summit were removed. And I think in the nearest time we will know the dates." PHOTOGRAPHER (SOUNDBITE) (Ukrainian) UKRAINIAN PRESIDENT, VOLODYMYR ZELENSKIY SAYING (SPEAKING BOUT UKRAINE APPROVING SO CALLED STENMEIER FORMULA): "This means, dear journalists, our audiences, that there will be no election under the gun and there can't be any." PHOTOGRAPHER (SOUNDBITE) (Ukrainian) UKRAINIAN PRESIDENT, VOLODYMYR ZELENSKIY SAYING: "Another very important moment is that law on the special status of Donbass which already exists and is valid until December 31, 2019. There will be a new law which will be developed by the parliament in close cooperation and part of public discussion with society. In this law there will not be a single red line crossed and no surrender by any means there." CAMERA PEOPLE (SOUNDBITE) (Ukrainian) UKRAINIAN PRESIDENT, VOLODYMYR ZELENSKIY SAYING (ANSWERING WHEN RUSSIAN TROOPS WILL UKRAINE): "This is a question which should be discussed in Normandy format. Ok, listen. (The troops will leave) before the election. Because if there are any troops on the ground, as you understand, there can be no election. That's it!" JOURNALISTS
- Embargoed: 15th October 2019 17:44
- Keywords: Volodymyr Zelenskiy Donbass region Zelenskiy news conference Ukraine crisis
- Location: KIEV, UKRAINE
- City: KIEV, UKRAINE
- Country: Ukraine
- Topics: Diplomacy/Foreign Policy,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA001AZ9N7T3
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy said on Tuesday (October 1) there would be 'no election under the gun' in the east of Ukraine, referring to the presence of armed Russian-backed separatists in the territory of Donbass.
Zelenskiy said any election in the Donbass region must take place in accordance with Ukrainian legislation, as well as under international standards.
The President said the law on the special status of Donbass as the non-government-controlled territory remains valid until December 31, 2019, then it would be replaced by a new one developed through public discussion.
Kiev's forces have been battling pro-Russian separatists in the Donbass region of eastern Ukraine since 2014 in a conflict that has claimed more than 13,000 lives.
Sporadic fighting continues despite a ceasefire agreement.
(Production: Sergei Karazy, Maria Vasilyeva)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None