- Title: France's Macron meets Ukrainian filmmaker Sentsov in Strasbourg
- Date: 1st October 2019
- Summary: STRASBOURG, FRANCE (OCTOBER 1, 2019) (AGENCY POOL) VARIOUS OF FRENCH PRESIDENT, EMMANUEL MACRON, MEETING WITH UKRAINIAN FILM DIRECTOR, OLEG SENTSOV
- Embargoed: 15th October 2019 12:20
- Keywords: Emmanuel Macron Oleg Sentsov prisoner swap Council of Europe Ukraine Vladimir Putin
- Location: ROSTOV-ON-DON, RUSSIA / KIEV, UKRAINE / STRASBOURG, FRANCE
- City: ROSTOV-ON-DON, RUSSIA / KIEV, UKRAINE / STRASBOURG, FRANCE
- Country: France
- Topics: Diplomacy/Foreign Policy,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA001AZ9MG5J
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: French President Emmanuel Macron on Tuesday (October 1) met with Ukrainian film director Oleg Sentsov at the Council of Europe in Strasbourg ahead of addressing the parliamentary assembly as part of celebrations for the 70th anniversary of the institution.
Sentsov was the most high-profile prisoner to be swapped in early September among 35 Ukrainian detainees to return home in exchange for an equal number of prisoners wanted by Russia.
The 43-year-old filmmaker was detained in Crimea in 2014 and sentenced to 20 years in a maximum security prison on terrorism charges, which he says were trumped up.
Macron paid tribute to Sentsov in his speech to the Council of Europe, adding that other prisoners were waiting to be freed.
(Production: Pascale Antonie)
- Copyright Holder: POOL (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None