- Title: 'Moria is hell': asylum-seekers protest conditions at Greek camp
- Date: 1st October 2019
- Summary: LESBOS, GREECE (OCTOBER 1, 2019) (REUTERS) MIGRANTS MARCHING AND YELLING IN PROTEST VARIOUS OF GREEK POLICE STANDING IN FRONT OF PROTESTERS AND BLOCKING THEIR WAY MIGRANTS PROTESTING MIGRANT SEATED BEHIND SIGN READING (English): "MORYA IS HELL", POLICE HOLDING SHIELDS VARIOUS OF MIGRANT DURING SIT-IN PROTEST, HOLDING UP PLACARD READING (English): "FREE US FROM HELL" VARIOUS OF MIGRANTS HOLDING A SIT-IN PROTEST MIGRANT ADDRESSING THE PROTESTERS MIGRANTS YELLING WITH THEIR FISTS IN THE AIR DURING SIT-IN PROTEST WOMEN COVERING THEIR FACES WITH SCARVES IN SIT-IN PROTEST VARIOUS OF MIGRANT HOLDING UP PLACARD READING (English): "WHERE IS JUSTICE, WHERE IS HUMAN RIGHTS?" MIGRANT HOLDING UP PLACARD READING (English): "MORYA IS HELL" NEWLY ARRIVED MIGRANTS SEATED ON THE SIDE OF THE ROAD WITH FOIL BLANKETS HANGING FROM FENCE BEHIND THEM VARIOUS OF WOMAN AND CHILDREN SEATED, FOIL BLANKETS HANGING BEHIND THEM VARIOUS OF MEN HOLDING CHILDREN IN THEIR ARMS MIGRANTS WALKING TOWARDS PARKED VAN VARIOUS OF MIGRANTS GATHERED NEXT TO VAN VARIOUS OF MIGRANTS AND BOY IN YELLOW LIFEJACKET ENTERING VAN WOMAN AND CHILDREN IN VAN VAN DRIVING AWAY
- Embargoed: 15th October 2019 14:27
- Keywords: Greece migrants camps islands Moria overcrowded UNHCR Lesbos
- Location: LESBOS, GREECE
- City: LESBOS, GREECE
- Country: Greece
- Topics: Asylum/Immigration/Refugees,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA001AZ9O2MF
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Hundreds of asylum seekers protested conditions at Greece's biggest migrant camp on Lesbos on Tuesday (October 1) after a woman was killed in a fire there, marching towards the island's capital before being halted by police.
Holding signs reading "Moria is hell" and "Free us from hell", the protesters held a sit-in demonstration after being prevented from marching farther than a few hundred metres from the camp's gates by around two dozen riot police.
The woman's death on Sunday was the third there in two months. An Afghan teenager was killed in a fight in August and a five-year-old Afghan boy was accidentally run over by a truck while playing in a cardboard box outside the camp in September.
Migrants including children arrived at the shores of the overcrowded Lesbos island on Tuesday. More than 12,000 people - mainly from Syria, Afghanistan and Iraq - live in Moria camp, which has a capacity of 3,000 people. The camp has grown to become the island's second largest town in just three years.
On Monday, Greece's government outlined a shift in migration policy, saying it would tighten its sea and land borders, shorten the asylum process and deport 10,000 people who do not qualify for protection by the end of next year.
(Production: Giorgos Moutafis, Idyli Tsakiri)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None