- Title: Hong Kong protesters throw petrol bombs; police fire tear gas
- Date: 1st October 2019
- Summary: SHA TIN, HONG KONG, CHINA (OCTOBER 1, 2019) (REUTERS) ***WARNING: CONTAINS PROFANITY*** PROTESTERS THROWING PETROL BOMBS IN DIRECTION OF POLICE VARIOUS OF POLICE IN RIOT GEAR STANDING IN A LINE, OPPOSITE PROTESTERS POLICE FIRING TEAR GAS CANISTERS TEAR GAS IN THE AIR / PROTESTERS HOLDING UMBRELLAS TEAR GAS LANDING BY PROTESTERS / POLICE IN DISTANCE TEAR GAS-FILLED AIR / PROTESTERS MORE OF POLICE AIMING AND FIRING AT PROTESTERS POLICE ADVANCING / FIRING TEAR GAS POLICE AIMING PROTESTERS ADVANCING THROUGH TEAR GAS POLICE STANDING IN A LINE, OPPOSITE PROTESTERS TEAR GAS-FILLED AIR / PROTESTER THROWING SOMETHING IN THE DIRECTION OF THE POLICE PROTESTERS / POLICE POLICE STANDING IN A LINE, OPPOSITE PROTESTERS POLICE ADVANCING / FIRING TEAR GAS PROTESTER MAKING AN OBSCENE GESTURE AT POLICE
- Embargoed: 15th October 2019 11:09
- Keywords: hong kong protests tear gas police street battles china 70th anniversary
- Location: HONG KONG, CHINA
- City: HONG KONG, CHINA
- Country: Hong Kong
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Civil Unrest,Editors' Choice
- Reuters ID: LVA001AZ9KPQF
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: CONTAINS PROFANE LANGUAGE
Hong Kong protesters threw petrol bombs and police fired tear gas in street battles across the city on Tuesday (October 1), posing a direct challenge to Chinese President Xi Jinping on the 70th anniversary of the founding of the People's Republic.
In the New Territories town of Sha Tin, police fired tear gas canisters directly at high-rise windows, though it was not clear why, as the Chinese-ruled city was gripped by the most widespread violence in nearly four months of unrest.
Police said "rioters" had used corrosive fluid in Tuen Mun in the west of the New Territories, "injuring multiple police officers and reporters". No details were immediately available.
The Chinese-ruled territory has been tense for weeks, with protests often turning violent, as authorities scramble to avoid activists spoiling Beijing's birthday parade at a time when the central government is already grappling with a U.S.-China trade war and a slowing economy.
(Production: Ebrahim Harris, Dina Selim)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None