- Title: "We have to start winning", says Klopp ahead of Salzburg UCL clash
- Date: 1st October 2019
- Summary: LIVERPOOL, ENGLAND, UK (OCTOBER 1, 2019) (REUTERS) (SOUNDBITE) (English) LIVERPOOL MANAGER JUERGEN KLOPP SAYING: "We have to start winning and we should not waste time. So that's it, we don't say we have a little bit of feeling that this game tomorrow is already halfway done, it's not. That it's really, really tough and they will surprise a lot of people tomorrow night and in the future as well. The way Salzburg is playing is made for surprise bigger teams.â€ "But if there's anybody in the world who knows the most about the way they play, how they do, what they do, then probably me. I've followed their way for a long, long time, a similar idea when I started as a manager and stuff like this, so I know how very difficult they are. I have a pretty good side as well and we want to be, and it was always our target, we want to be the most uncomfortable opponents in world football, and if we are that tomorrow night, and it's not easy for Salzburg as well, we should not forget that." WHITE FLASH (SOUNDBITE) (English) REPORTER ASKING KLOPP: "Tomorrow, one of the boys that might be playing for Salzburg is a 19-year-old who scored a hat-trick on his debut in the Champions League. What are your thoughts on Erling Haaland?" KLOPP: "Yes, Norway has good footballers, yes? Obviously, wonderful player, to be honest, very young, very confident, very quick, looks on the pitch very clear-minded, focused - a proper threat. So, looks like a decent player and is in the perfect place at the moment, I would say, it's very important for a boy in that age group that you can play as often as possible at the highest possible level and prepare yourself for the next challenge in life, and that's what he's doing obviously at the moment, so he's not the only threat unfortunately from Salzburg, but he's a proper one." WHITE FLASH (SOUNDBITE) (English) LIVERPOOL FORWARD AND FORMER SALZBURG PLAYER SADIO MANE SAYING: "It's a special game for me, because like I said, playing for two and a half years for Salzburg and now I'm playing against them and for sure, I think they will be ready for me and so I'll be ready for them as well, but I still love the city, the club and now for sure I'll be really happy to meet my ex-team mates, but at the same time, I would love to win against them." WHITE FLASH (SOUNDBITE) (English) REPORTER ASKING SADIO MANE: "Sadio, what's more important to you this season, the Premier League title race or successfully defending the Champions League?" SADIO MANE: "Good question! But, for sure, I would say both, because both is important for me and both is our targets. We are Liverpool, we are a good team, so I don't think we should've thought about it, so I think we just still have nothing to lose because we can't put ourselves (under) pressure, and for sure, we say both." WHITE FLASH (SOUNDBITE) (English) REPORTER ASKING SADIO MANE ABOUT LOSING HIS TEMPER WHEN MO SALAH DID NOT PASS TO HIM DURING A LEAGUE GAME AGAINST BURNLEY EARLIER THIS SEASON: "And how are things with you and Mo Salah? Was there ever even a problem there?" SADIO MANE: "Wow, good question! (Laughs) Yes, I think it can happen in football. I felt a little bit frustrated because it's football, you want to score more goals, you can see Man City's eight, six, seven-nil, you can see it, no. For me, it is really important to for us to score as many goals as you can, but it can happen, because he didn't see me and I was a bit frustrated, but we came out of it as really, really good friends. Yesterday, even yesterday, I said 'Gini (Wijnaldum) tell Mo why Sadio wanted to beat you in the Burnley game' and you know, Ginny's so funny I always saying these kind of things, but it's all forgotten, behind us."
- Embargoed: 15th October 2019 14:38
- Keywords: Liverpool Champions League Juergen Klopp
- Location: LIVERPOOL, ENGLAND, UK
- City: LIVERPOOL, ENGLAND, UK
- Country: United Kingdom
- Topics: Soccer,Sport
- Reuters ID: LVA001AZ9NM0V
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Liverpool manager Juergen Klopp has stressed his side needs to "start winning" in the Champions League ahead of their match against Red Bull Salzburg on Wednesday (October 2).
The Reds began the defence of their European title with a 2-0 loss away to Napoli.
Conversely, Salzburg dispatched Genk 6-2 with 19-year-old Norwegian striker Erling Braut Haaland netting a first half hat-trick, something that caught Klopp's eye.
Speaking on Tuesday (October 1), Klopp predicted the Austrian side will surprise many this season with a brand of football the German manager knows all too well and he expects a tough encounter.
Salzburg arrive at Anfield on the back of a 4-1 hammering of rivals Austria Wien in their domestic league.
They currently top the league, unbeaten, by five points having already scored 40 goals in their opening 9 fixtures.
Meanwhile, Liverpool winger Sadio Mane labelled the fixture a "special game" as he prepares to face his former side.
Mane spent two and a half years at the Austrian side, scoring 45 goals in 87 appearances, while lifting two Austrian league trophies and two Austrian cups.
Reunion aside, when quizzed which he would prefer: Premier League or Champions League success, Mane declared both honours were his and the club's targets this season.
The Senegal international also poured cold water on rumours of a rift with star team mate Mohamed Salah, following an incident during their league win at Burnley (August 31).
(Production: Stefan Haskins)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None