- Title: Hong Kong protesters haul petrol bombs at police
- Date: 1st October 2019
- Summary: HONG KONG, CHINA (OCTOBER 1, 2019) (REUTERS) POLICE POINTING A GUN AT PROTESTERS (NOT VISIBLE) PROTESTER THROWING PETROL BOMB AT POLICE PETROL BOMB / RIOT POLICE PROTESTERS MOVING TOWARD POLICE PETROL BOMBS / RIOT POLICE KICK A PETROL BOMB AWAY PROTESTERS MOVING TOWARD POLICE RIOT POLICE FIRE TEAR GAS VARIOUS OF PETROL BOMBS BEING THROWN VARIOUS OF MOTORBIKES BURNING FIRE / SMOKE RISING VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS MAKING BARRICADE (SOUNDBITE) (English) FRONTLINE PROTESTER, TONY, SAYING: "We are not here to celebrate, we are here to win, we are here to tell everybody we are Hong Kongers, we live here because we stay in Hong Kong and we are the people of Hong Kong. And that's all." REPORTER ASKING: WHAT ARE YOU FIGHTING FOR? "We are fighting for freedom, liberty and five demands." VARIOUS OF WATER LEAKING IN FRONT OF MTR STATION / WATER BEING RELEASED INTO MTR STATION PROTESTER SPRAYING PAINT ON MTR INFO DISPLAY PANEL PROTESTERS BREAKING GLASS PANELS AT MTR STATION
- Embargoed: 15th October 2019 10:28
- Keywords: Hong Kong China petrol bombs protest unrest fire
- Location: HONG KONG, CHINA
- City: HONG KONG, CHINA
- Country: Hong Kong
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Civil Unrest,Editors' Choice
- Reuters ID: LVA001AZ9KLS7
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Hong Kong protesters hauled petrol bombs at riot police in Wong Tai Sin on Tuesday (October 1) as anti-government protests rocked the entire Chinese-ruled city on China's 70th anniversary.
The former British colony has been wracked by nearly four months of street clashes and demonstrations, posing the gravest popular challenge to Chinese President Xi Jinping since he came to power.
Many areas in Hong Kong have turned into battlefields while police fired tear gas and water cannons to disperse the crowds.
Protesters have vowed to seize on the holiday, marking the 70th anniversary of the founding of the People's Republic of China, to propel their calls for greater democracy onto the international stage, hijacking an occasion Beijing sees as an opportunity to showcase China's economic and military progress.
(Production: Joyce Zhou, Angie Teo)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None