- Title: Indonesia swears in new lawmakers while protests rage over new law
- Date: 1st October 2019
- Summary: JAKARTA, INDONESIA (SEPTEMBER 30, 2019) (REUTERS) POLICE FIRING TEAR GAS ON PROTESTERS PROTESTERS THROWING FIRE CRACKERS AND STONES WHILE POLICE FIRES TEAR GAS TEAR GAS BEING FIRED POLICE UNITS MOVING, PUSHING THE PROTESTERS POLICE ARMOURED VEHICLES AT THE SITE OF ACTION POLICE SQUATTING DOWN IN POSITION TO FIRE TEAR GAS JAKARTA, INDONESIA (OCTOBER 1, 2019) (REUTERS) AERIAL SHOT OF PROTESTERS BURNING TYRES IN MIDDLE OF STREET AERIAL SHOT OF TEAR GAS FIRED TO DISPERSE PROTESTERS AERIAL SHOT OF PROTESTERS RUNNING AWAY FROM TEAR GAS
- Embargoed: 15th October 2019 08:27
- Keywords: Criminal code swearing in new law violence protests police parliament tear gas shelling inauguration
- Location: JAKARTA, INDONESIA
- City: JAKARTA, INDONESIA
- Country: Indonesia
- Topics: Lawmaking,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA002AZ9KJEV
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: PART VIDEO QUALITY AS INCOMING
About 575 new members of Indonesia's parliament were sworn in on Tuesday (October 1) even as the country grappled with a wave of protests against some new or proposed laws that critics say undermine the fight against graft and a new criminal code outlawing sex outside marriage.
Indonesian police fired tear gas in several areas of Jakarta on Monday (September 30) as a protest against legal reforms descended into running battles, causing traffic gridlock and chaotic scenes in parts of the central business district.
Several thousand students, activists and workers had gathered near parliament to oppose the new law.
A list of student demands that has been circulated on social media also includes stopping forest fires and removing a heavy military presence in the restive easternmost area of Papua.
Students have led the rallies across the country since last week, some of the biggest since 1998 student protests fueled unrest that led to the fall of former strongman leader Suharto.
On Monday, police fired tear gas to break up crowds.
(Production: Adi Kurniawan, Heru Asprihanto)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None