- Title: Hong Kong police fire tear gas at protesters
- Date: 1st October 2019
- Summary: WONG TAI SIN, HONG KONG, CHINA (OCTOBER 1, 2019) (REUTERS) BURNING BARRICADES ON STREETS/PROTESTERS RUNNING AWAY HONG KONG POLICE MOVING TOWARDS PROTESTERS/HAZE FROM TEAR GAS HONG KONG POLICE FIRING TEAR GAS AT PROTESTERS WHO ARE SHIELDING UNDER UMBRELLAS/PROTESTERS RUNNING AWAY SHA TIN, HONG KONG, CHINA (OCTOBER 1, 2019) (REUTERS) HONG KONG POLICE STANDING ON STREET IN SHA TIN PROTESTERS TAKING COVER BEHIND UMBRELLAS FROM TEAR GAS HONG KONG POLICE PROTESTERS SHIELDING BEHIND UMBRELLAS HONG KONG POLICE OFFICER BRANDISHING GUN HONG KONG POLICE PEOPLE WATCHING ON FROM A BALCONY
- Embargoed: 15th October 2019 08:18
- Keywords: Hong Kong protest crackdown police teargas clashes unrest
- Location: HONG KONG, CHINA
- City: HONG KONG, CHINA
- Country: Hong Kong
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Civil Unrest
- Reuters ID: LVA001AZ9KQIV
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Police in Hong Kong on Tuesday (October 1) fired tear gas to disperse protesters who had gathered in large numbers in different parts of the city.
Hong Kong authorities had been prepared for a day of chaos on the city's streets, the 70th anniversary of the founding of the People's Republic of China, with metro stations and malls closed ahead of protests that they feared would turn violent.
Authorities are eager to avoid scenes that could embarrass the central government in Beijing on the anniversary after months of sometimes violent pro-democracy protests.
Roads were due to be closed near the Hong Kong Convention and Exhibition Centre, where a flag-raising ceremony is scheduled to take place.
Authorities on Monday (September 30) rejected a permit for a march planned for Tuesday from Victoria Park in the bustling tourist district of Causeway Bay to Chater Road, next to government headquarters, on security grounds.
(production: Ebrahim Harris, Yuddy Cahya Budiman)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None