- Title: South Korean fighter jets patrol over islands disputed by Japan
- Date: 1st October 2019
- Summary: DAEGU, SOUTH KOREA (OCTOBER 1, 2019) (REUTERS) SOUTH KOREAN HONOUR GUARD STANDING
- Embargoed: 15th October 2019 08:36
- Keywords: South Korea President Moon Jae-in Armed Forces Day F-35 F-15K Dokdo disputed island
- Location: DAEGU, SOUTH KOREA/ IN AIR
- City: DAEGU, SOUTH KOREA/ IN AIR
- Country: South Korea
- Topics: Defence,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA007AZ9K7K7
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: South Korean fighter jets conducted a patrol flight on Tuesday (October 1) over islands at the centre of a bitter dispute with Japan, South Korean President Moon Jae-in said at an event marking the founding of the South Korean military.
He said South Korean F-15K jets patrolled over the disputed islets called Dokdo in Korea and Takeshima in Japan, which are controlled by Seoul and claimed by both countries, a move that could inflame already strained ties between the two.
South Korea showcased newly acquired F-35 stealth fighter jets to mark Armed Forces Day as Moon tried to allay concerns that his policy of engagement with North Korea would weaken the South's commitment to defence.
North Korea has criticized the South's weapons procurements and its joint military drills with the U.S. military as undisguised preparations for war that are forcing it to develop new short-range missiles.
Moon has thrown his support behind dialogue to end the North's nuclear and ballistic missile programs, urging that working-level negotiations between the North and the United States be held soon. No new dates or locations have been set.
(Production: Dogyun Kim, Daewoung Kim, Minwoo Park)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None