- Title: Jimmy Carter becomes first U.S. president to reach 95
- Date: 1st October 2019
- Summary: BEIJING, CHINA (FILE - DECEMBER 13, 2012) (REUTERS) ***WARNING: CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** CHINESE COMMUNIST PARTY CHIEF XI JINPING GREETING FORMER UNITED STATES PRESIDENT JIMMY CARTER AND HIS WIFE ROSALYNN CARTER SMILING
- Embargoed: 15th October 2019 20:35
- Keywords: Jimmy Carter oldest U.S. president Rosalynn Carter
- Location: VARIOUS
- City: VARIOUS
- Country: USA
- Topics: Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA007AZ9P9AF
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Former U.S. President Jimmy Carter turned 95 on Tuesday (October 1), making him the only U.S. president ever to reach that age.
In 1977, Carter, an evangelical Christian from Plains, Georgia, became the 39th president of the United States.
His administration through 1981 was marked by his crusade for human rights. He was succeeded by Ronald Reagan.
After leaving the presidency, Carter continued his humanitarian activism and became deeply involved in Habitat for Humanity, that builds housing for the poor.
He established the Carter Center in 1982 to prevent and resolve conflicts and push for human rights and also backs women to bring about a more politically stable world.
(Production: Arlene Eiras)
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None